Okay, we all have a different definition of famous – but the wonderful folks at Enjoy Life Foods have featured my Flax and Oat Bars on their blog, and I am pretty proud of that.
Enjoy Life is one of my favorite companies! They use a dedicated allergen-free and gluten-free facility, which is hard to find these days. Plus their products are amazing. I love, love, love their mini chocolate chips (yes, they are even soy-lecithin-free), and their soft cookies. They are gluten-free and awesome all around.
These Flax and Oat Bars allergy-friendly and adaptable as possible. It is of course dairy-free, but it can easily be modified to adapt to most free-from needs (gluten-free, soy-free, vegan, etc.). I often make mini-batches of no bake snacks and love using silicon muffin pans. No cutting or greasing required, and anytime we need a snack, we just pop one out!
These crunchy no bake flax and oat bars make for such a wholesome snack. They’re sweet, crunchy, and delicious. They’re also so easy to prepare and perfect for quick on the go snacks!
Jessica made these snacks with a simple vegan substitute: “Oh my gosh, awesome! I subbed Envirokidz Koala Crisp cereal because Perky’s is not vegan. I also packed them into mini muffin tins, which is a good thing because with the change in cereal, these were really sweet! I will definitely make them again!”
Jesse let us know she made these for her family and they were a hit: “I make these for my hubbys lunch’s! They are so much cheaper then buying granola bars! He really likes them and I really like that they are natural, high fibre and have omegas, and are perfectly portioned…my kids and I really like them too!”
Special Diet Notes: Chocolate Chip Flax and Oat Bars
By ingredients, this recipe is dairy-free / non-dairy, egg-free, gluten-free, soy-free, and vegetarian. Optionally vegan / plat-based, nut-free and peanut-free.
- 3 tablespoons maple syrup, honey, or agave
- 2 tablespoons brown sugar or evaporated cane juice
- 1 tablespoon coconut or palm oil (not shortening)
- ½ Cup peanut butter, SunButter, or your favorite nut or seed butter
- ½ teaspoon vanilla extract
- Generous pinch or two of salt (omit if using salted nut or seed butter)
- 2 tablespoons ground flaxseed
- 1 cup quick or rolled oats (use certified gluten-free oats or give quinoa flakes a go for gluten-free)
- 1 cup Perky’s Crunchy Flax Cereal (can sub their rice cereal or crispy rice cereal)
- ½ cup Enjoy Life Mini Chocolate Chips
- In a medium-sized saucepan or skillet, combine the two sweeteners and the oil, and gently warm over low heat while stirring until the sugar crystals have dissolved. This should just take a couple of minutes.
- Stir in the nut or seed butter, vanilla, and salt until smooth. Remove from the heat. Allow the mixture to cool for a couple of minutes.
- Stir in the flaxseed, followed by the oats and cereal.
- Now you have two choices here. If you want the chocolate chips to stay intact, let the mixture cool for few more minutes, and then stir in the chocolate chips. Or, if you are antsy like me, stir in the chocolate chips right away. They may melt a little against the warm pan, but I like them that way.
- The mixture will be crumbly, but that is okay. Press it firmly into an 8 x 8 pan (use saran wrap or wax paper over your hand if it threatens to stick while pressing) or into 10 to 12 muffin tins. Make sure it is packed in there nicely, then place the bars into the freezer to chill for 30 minutes to an hour.
- Cut into bars or pop them out and eat. I store them in the refrigerator, this keeps them fresh and from getting too soft.