Since my last Dutch Baby venture was such a dee-licious success, I set out to create a savory version the other day. But, I couldn’t stop with that one challenge alone. This time I went for grain-free as well. In the end, it was more of a smoked salmon crustless quiche than dutch baby, but no complaints here.
At first I used ground almonds, and was surprised at how bready the first trial turned out. It was good, but somehow the texture didn’t really go with the flavor. So in round two, I switched to cashews, using half the amount, and a star smoked salmon crustless quiche was born!
I have never really had a quiche, so I turned to my husband for his taste-testing expertise. He said, “It’s kind of like a quiche, but different. It’s good though!”
Special Diet Notes: Smoked Salmon Crustless Quiche
By ingredients, this recipe is dairy-free / non-dairy, soy-free, gluten-free, grain-free, and peanut-free.
- 2 ounces cashews (can sub almonds)
- 1 cup unsweetened dairy-free milk alternative
- 4 medium eggs
- 1 tablespoon tahini
- 4 teaspoons nutritional yeast (optional)*
- ¾ teaspoon dried dill or a scant tablespoon fresh dill
- ½ teaspoon onion powder
- ½ teaspoon salt
- 4 ounces smoked salmon, flaked or diced
- ½ tablespoon oil (your choice) or dairy-free margarine
- Preheat your oven to 425ºF
- Grind the cashews in a spice grinder for about 30 seconds, or until they turn into a powder.
- In a medium-sized bowl, whisk together the cashews, milk alternative, eggs, tahini, nutritional yeast, dill, onion powder, and salt. Stir in the smoked salmon.
- Place the oil or margarine in a 9″ pie plate, or divide it between four ramekins. Place the dish(es) in the oven to warm up for a few minutes. Remove and make sure the oil/margarine nicely coats the bottom of the dish.
- Give the egg mixture another quick whisk, and pour it into your prepared dish(es). Bake for about 25 minutes, or untili the egg dish is nice and puffed, and just beginning to brown. It will deflate upon removal from the oven, so if you want a picture, be quick!