Sweet Sundays: Kim ~ Typically, I can be found in my kitchen whipping up recipes that I have made so many times now that I can throw them together by memory. But even though my family loves “routine”, they easily can get bored with my usual delivery of baked goods and often put a call out for a new twist on the norm.
So every now and then I like to come up with a new concoction that just may earn a coveted position in my regular baking rotation and change things up a little for everyone. This Chai Spiced Apple Bread with Chai Chia Streusel recently earned one of those spots.
It is a beautiful combination of flavors that make your house heavy with all the smells of winter baking. Aromas of ground cloves, ginger, cinnamon, cardamom, and apples all come together to create a heady scent. Almond flour and Quinoa flour make up the base of this recipe, while the sweetness is imparted from the grated apples and organic coconut palm sugar. But the true magic comes from the combination of the Chai spices. The streusel topping is also infused with these spices, in addition to the ground chia seeds (which are full of plant-based Omega 3’s) and the rich complex taste of the coconut palm sugar.
This Gluten-Free, Dairy-Free Chai Spiced Bread may just earn a spot in your baking rotation too! …
Guten-Free Dairy-Free Chai Spiced Apple Bread With Chai Chia Streusel
Easily Adaptable to be Egg-Free and Nut-Free
1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Lightly grease sides and bottom of a medium loaf pan (9 inch x 5 inch) and place a piece of parchment paper on the bottom of your pan (cut to the exact size of the bottom of your pan without letting it go up the sides).
2. In medium bowl, combine almond flour, quinoa flour, potato starch, sugar, xanthan gum, sea salt, baking powder, baking soda, and spices.
3. In mixing bowl, beat eggs until very foamy and fluffy (will help prevent a flat loaf) then add in buttermilk, oil, and vanilla.
4. Slowly add dry ingredients into wet ingredients and continue mixing on low until ingredients are just incorporated. Gently fold in well-drained grated apples.
5. Pour batter into prepared loaf pan.
6. Prepare streusel topping: Mix together coconut oil, sugar, ground chia seeds, and spices.
7. Sprinkle streusel mixture over the top of the batter. Run a sharp knife down the center of batter one time. Place into oven and bake for 53 minutes, or until toothpick inserted in center comes out clean and temperature of center of loaf is 208 degrees.
8. Let bread cool for a few minutes, then run knife around edges of pan and remove bread. Place on rack and let cool completely before slicing.
***For Baking Tips to help ensure wonderful allergen-friendly results, visit this post about How to Avoid Gluten-Free and Allergy-Free Baking Mishaps
Article, recipe, and photo by Kim, of Cook IT Allergy Free. After her son, and then subsequently her husband, were diagnosed with Celiac Disease five years ago, Kim decided to embrace the challenge and began work on a Master’s Degree in Nutrition (with an emphasis in Holistic Nutrition). She started having so much fun on her new educational path that she knew she had to help others learn how to enjoy feeding their families when dealing with Celiac Disease and other food allergies and sensitivities. Thus she created the Cook It Allergy Free iPhone App and blog. Kim understands the struggles that are faced in the kitchen when dealing with food substitutions and wanted to teach others how to embrace these challenges with gusto!