Enjoy Life Shares New Allergy-Friendly Summer Snack Recipes
An unanticipated challenge of special diets, snacks. Enjoy Life covers the bases not only with their convenient products, but also with two tasty recipes that are gluten-free and free of the top eight allergens (dairy, soy, egg, wheat, tree nuts, peanuts, etc.):
Cinnamon Crunch Faux-Oatmeal Cookies (recipe below) - According to the chefs at Enjoy Life Foods, "This not-too-sweet, no-oats “Oatmeal cookie” takes one of our favorite products, the Cinnamon Crunch granola, and turns it into a satisfying, better-for-you cookie!" You can of course use your granola of choice, but using Enjoy Life's granola will ensure your treats are allergen-free, gluten-free, and even oat-free.
Beach Bash Twice-Baked Crispbreads (recipe below) - A bag of trail mix transforms these little twice-baked crackers into elegant accompaniments to dips, spreads, cheese and hors d’oeuvres. The summery title comes from the Beach Bash Not Nuts Trail Mix that the chefs at Enjoy Life Foods used to create this recipe.
Enjoy the recipes …
Cinnamon Crunch Faux-Oatmeal Cookies
- 1/2 Cup warm water
- 1 Tablespoon ground flax seeds or ground chia seeds
- 1/4 Cup sunflower, safflower, or grapeseed oil
- 1/2 Cup light agave syrup / nectar
- 1 teaspoon molasses
- 1 teaspoon gluten-free vanilla extract
- 1 12-ounce bag gluten-free granola (such as Enjoy Life Cinnamon Crunch Granola, which is also oat-free)
- 1/3 Cup + 1 Tablespoon brown rice flour
- 1/4 Cup tapioca flour
- 3/4 teaspoon xanthan gum
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- Preheat oven to 350 F or 325 F for a convection oven.
- Combine water and flax seed, and allow to sit for five minutes.
- In the bowl of a food processor or a stand-up mixer, combine all the wet ingredients, including the water (after 5 minutes). Mix for a few minutes.
- In a separate bowl, combine the flours, granola, and the rest of the dry ingredients. Add the dry ingredients all at once to the wet ingredients.
- Mix until combined, less than 30 seconds. As the dough sits, it will absorb all of the liquid.
- With a 1 oz ice cream scoop, scoop cookie dough onto parchment-lined baking sheet.
- Bake in oven for 10 minutes or until golden brown around the edges.
- Eat right away or store in an airtight container for up to three days. Dough can also be frozen for up to a month.
Yields approximately 18 1.4 oz cookies
Beach Bash Twice-Baked Crispbreads
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F or, if using a convection oven, 325 degrees F.
- In the bowl of a food processor or in a stand up mixer (such as a Kitchenaid), combine all dry ingredients. Mix for about 30 seconds.
- While the mixer is running, add the water and oil in a continuous stream. If you are using a Kitchenaid, add the Beach Bash and allow to mix in. If using a food processor, stop the processor once the dough is mixed, place dough in a bowl, empty beach bash onto dough and knead to incorporate the beach bash into the dough.
- Divide the dough into two. Roll out the dough into two equal sized cylinders and place on a sheet tray lined with parchment or a silpat. Pat down into desired shape (We like to make ours look like biscotti).
- Brush with olive oil and sprinkle with a little sea salt, pepper, and/or herbs of your choosing, being careful not to use too much.
- Bake for 20 minutes or until the dough has started to harden and color a little.
- Allow to cool completely. You will not want to cut it while it is still hot, as it is challenging to slice still-hot dough into thin slices.
- Once the dough has cooled, with a sharp serrated bread knife, make diagonal slices into the dough (“slice on the bias”), keeping the slices as thin as possible – less than 1/8”. Thick slices will still taste good, but they will be rather difficult to eat.
- Set the oven to 250 degrees F. Place each slice on the baking sheet – if you want to make them extra rich, you can brush them with olive oil before baking.
- Bake for 30 minutes or so, or until the crispbreads are dry. To test, take one crispbread off the sheet and allow to cool. Bite into it. If it is crisp, it is ready. If not, keep in oven and check every 5 minutes.
- Allow to cool completely. Use right away or store in an airtight container. Stays crisp for up to a week.
Yields approximately 40 crispbread crackers