Alisa Fleming ~ I’ve signed on as a columnist with Allergic Living magazine to share bits and bites from the tasty world of dairy-free living. My inaugural article is in the Spring 2012 edition, which is on newsstands in the U.S. and Canada now. This season, you can enjoy all of the following in my full-color, three-part article:
1) A Versatile Recipe for Carrot Cupcakes with Dairy-Free Pineapple Cream Cheese Frosting – You know how I aim to please, so I tested this recipe dozens of times, to give as many “free-from” options as possible. You can enjoy this cupcake recipe as “just dairy-free” or also make it gluten-free, egg-free, nut-free, peanut-free, and/or vgan. The cupcake recipe is naturally soy-free; if you wish to make the frosting soy-free, simply use half a batch of the Cashew Crème Cheese recipe in Go Dairy Free (p122). Let’s just say I was a busy bunny in the kitchen for the spring issue! …
And yes, the photo below is the actual Carrot Cupcake and Pineapple “Cream Cheese” Frosting recipe (free-from and all!), taken by my good friend, Hannah Kaminsky!
2) My New Product Recommendation – This will always be my personal, completely unbiased pick, and in the spring issue of Allergic Living, I share my favorite new milk alternative.
3) Kitchen Advice – In keeping with the milk theme, I touch on how to substitute milk in baked goods, and my suggestions on what goes well with what!
Some of the other great articles in the Spring 2012 issue of Allergic Living, include:
- The Food Allergy Experts (Dr. Scott Sicherer and Dr. Hemant Sharma) weigh in on oral allergy drops for milk allergy, the connection between peanut allergy and allergies to other legumes, if an allergy blood test can be helpful in addition to a skin test, and much more.
- 17 Ways to Reclaim Spring if you suffer with seasonal allergies – using some this advice for my husband!
- Tips on Greener ways to Clean – I’m always looking for better ideas in this area.
- A report on Gluten’s Link to Austism – A leading scientist, Dr. Alessio Fasano, believes that gluten and a leaky gut may cause 20 percent of autism disorders.
- Six Days of Quick & Delicious Meal Recipes including Chickpea Burgers with Buckwheat Tabbouleh Salad, Lemon Chicken with Asparagus Salad on Radicchio, and Smoky Ratatouille on Roasted Portabellos – plus a bonus dessert recipe for Rhubarb and Ginger Crisp, yum!
What’s in store for the summer? I’ve got one cool and kid-friendly recipe prepared for the next issue!
If you don’t see Allergic Living in your local store, you can also order a subscription or individual copies (including back issues) via www.AllergicLiving.com.
Article by Alisa Fleming, founder of GoDairyFree.org and author of the best-selling book, Go Dairy Free: The Guide and Cookbook for Milk Allergies, Lactose Intolerance, and Casein-Free Living. Alisa is also a freelance writer for several publications and a recipe creator for the natural food industry with an emphasis on dairy-free living and other special diets.