May 2011 – RAW Organic Food Bar is a product we've recommended here on Go Dairy Free a few times, so I wanted to offer some information on the recent recall.
In mid-March, the company issued a recall on specific lots of the Chocolatey Chocolate Chip RAW Organic Food Bar due to potential undeclared peanut proteins. A couple of days ago, the recall was expanded to include several additional flavors / lots (see below for a full list).
These bars, including the lots mentioned, are safe for most individuals, but are still being removed from the shelves out of concern for those who have an allergy or severe sensitivity to peanuts that could lead to a serious or life-threatening allergic reaction if consumed. The Organic Food Bars are distributed throughout the U.S. and Canada, and the recall began when one allergic reaction was reported in Canada as a result of the peanut cross-contamination. At this time, no allergic reactions to RAW Organic Food Bars have been reported in the U.S.
As for the source of the peanut proteins, the company stated the following:
“The firm is investigating if the affected products contained peanut allergen through cross contamination of raw materials by one of our vendors since at the time we were a peanut free facility. We have since changed our suspected vendor of cashew butter and our new vendor has dedicated cashew line and claims no chance of cross contamination.”
The following lots of RAW Organic Food Bar Chocolatey Chocolate Chip are affected by this recall:
- Lot #3071210, exp. 12 Jul 2011 UPC 873521000220
- Lot #2071210, exp. 12 Jul 2011 UPC 873521000220
- Lot # 02081610, exp. Aug 2011 UPC 873521000220
- Lot #01081610, exp. Aug 2011 UPC 873521000220
- Lot #04092710, exp. 27 Sep 2011 UPC 873521000220
The following flavors of RAW Organic Food Bar were added to the peanut allergen recall at the end of April:
- Cinnamon Raisin: UPC 8-73521-00012 (12 bar boxes), UPC 8-73521-00011 (individual bars)
- Fiber Chocolate: UPC 8-73521-00042 (12 bar boxes), UPC 8-73521-00041 (individual bars)
- Chocolate Coconut: UPC 8-73521-00032 (12 bar boxes), UPC 8-73521-00031 (individual bars)
- Kid Oatmeal Apple: UPC 8-73521-00112 (12 bar boxes), UPC 8-73521-00111 (individual bars)
- Kid Keerunch Chocolate: UPC 8-73521-00122 (12 bar boxes), UPC 8-73521-00121 (individual bars)
- Kid Oomega Cherry: UPC 8-73521-00102 (12 bar boxes), UPC 8-73521-00101 (individual bars)
According to the FDA, these recalls were initiated by Organic Food bar, Inc., after the company discovered the undeclared peanut allergen through the cross contamination of raw materials. For more information, you can contact the company at (800) 246-4685, ext. 1.