Go Dairy Free

Go Dairy Free Cookbook - Dairy-Free Recipes, Guide and More

Our Best Gluten-Free and Vegan Pillowy Pancake Recipe

Posted on by Alisa Fleming in Nutrition Headlines with 21 Comments

Go Dairy Free Pillowy Whole Grain PancakesWhen viewer Nicole emailed in her favorite gluten-free flour blend for our Pillowy Whole-Grain Pancakes (recipe in Go Dairy Free), I couldn't wait to share it. Like my family, Nicole had become a big fan of this recipe, but her family can no longer consume gluten. Determined to keep pancakes on the table, Nicole began experimenting. Unfortunately, all-purpose gluten-free mixes like Bob's Red Mill didn't make the cut, but she finally struck gold when she stumbled upon a gluten-free flour blend from Erin of My Aspergers Girl (Adventures in ASD and GFCF Living).

Amazingly, there are very few egg-free, dairy-free, (vegan) and gluten-free pancake recipes floating around, making the tested and approved recipe below a real gem. Enjoy and thank you for sharing Nicole and Erin! …

Pillowy Whole-Grain Pancakes – Vegan and Gluten-Free

Recipe adapted from Go Dairy Free: The Guide and Cookbook for Milk Allergies, Lactose Intolerance, and Casein-Free Living.

• 1-3/4 Cups Plain Milk Alternative of Choice*
  • 1/4 Cup Grapeseed or Vegetable Oil, Plus Some for the Skillet
  • 2 Tablespoons Ground Flaxseed
  • 2 Tablespoons Agave Nectar or Honey
  • 2 Teaspoons Apple Cider Vinegar or Lemon Juice
  • 1 Teaspoon Vanilla Extract
  • 2 Cups Gluten-Free Flour Blend (recipe below)
  • 1 Tablespoon Baking Powder
  • 1/2 Teaspoon Baking Soda
  • 1/4 Teaspoon Salt

Measure the milk alternative in a glass measuring cup. Stir In the 1/4 cup of oil, flaxseed, agave or honey, vinegar or lemon juice, and vanilla. Set aside for moment. In a large bowl, sift together the flour, baking powder, baking soda, and salt. Add the milk alternative mixture and mix well. Heat a small amount of oil in a large skillet over medium heat. Using roughly 1/4 cup per pancake, pour the batter into the pan. Cook the pancakes until the outside edge begins to look dry, and bubbles break on the surface of the batter, about 3 minutes. Flip and cook the other sides for about 2 to 3 minutes, or until light golden brown. Serve with maple syrup, fresh fruit, or your favorite whipped “cream” topping.

*This makes rather fluffy pancakes. If you like them even cakier, feel free to lower the milk alternative by up to 1/4 cup, or increase it by up to 1/4 cup (2 cups total) for thinner pancakes.

Erin's Gluten-Free Flour Blend

Recipe from the blog My Aspergers Girl

• 4 cups sorghum flour
  • 1-1/3 cups potato starch flour
  • 2/3 cup tapioca starch flour

Combine all ingredients and store in an air-tight container.

Photo Credit: Pillowy Whole Grain Pancakes from Ricki's Review of Go Dairy Free

About Alisa Fleming

Alisa is the founder of GoDairyFree.org, Senior Editor for Allergic Living magazine, and author of the best-selling dairy-free book, Go Dairy Free: The Guide and Cookbook for Milk Allergies, Lactose Intolerance, and Casein-Free Living. Alisa is also a professional recipe creator and product ambassador for the natural food industry.

View all posts by Alisa Fleming →

21 Comments

1. ShannonAugust 31, 2012 at 5:16 pmReply

Can you substitute the oil with apple sauce? Or something else?
    I made these and they turned out awesome, although I didn’t have tapioca starch so I just increased the potato starch. And I added walnuts and strawberries. Very yummy. I’m just looking to reduce the fat in em.
    Thanks

• Alisa FlemingSeptember 2, 2012 at 9:25 amReplyAuthor

Hi Shannon, glad you liked the recipe!

You could substitute applesauce or banana for a bit of the oil (or even increase the liquid slightly), though I personally wouldn’t substitute it all. Fat free pancakes and baked goodies that are made with quick leaveners (baking powder/soda) tend to taste gummy. I think you could safely reduce the oil in half though.

• Barbara J MathisonJanuary 30, 2013 at 2:18 pmReply

I haven’t used oil in anything since I turned vegan at age 63 – 5 years ago. I love the challenge of substituting the oils and all the non dairy butters and spreads that are on the market – they are filled with “stuff” I don’t want in my body. Recently I started making “butter/oil” with avocado, almond butter and a very small amount of warm water. My breads and cakes are coming out great! Example: if the recipe calls for 1/3 cup of oil or non dairy butter = 1 Tbls of avocado, 2 Tbls almond butter, making up the 1/3 cup – the rest in warm water. Whisking together to form a nice smooth “oil/butter”. Use different measurements to desired textured and flavor.
      I’m looking forward to making some of your recipes. Thanks for all your work.
      Barbara J Mathison

2. WendiOctober 1, 2012 at 1:28 pmReply

you need to add eggs, otherwise they just fall apart on the plate…i realize some may have an allergy but-
    Thanks for the recipe!

• Alisa FlemingOctober 1, 2012 at 4:26 pmReplyAuthor

Wendi, the original recipe is with spelt flour, so it has gluten and no need for eggs. This version will be more delicate, but the starches should provide some binding power. Thanks for the feedback!

3. LauraOctober 6, 2012 at 6:07 pmReply

Hi! Just made this, they are the best gf pancakes I have ever made! So fluffy and delicious! I used coconut oil, it gives them such a delicate flavour. raving! Thanks!

4. LauraOctober 6, 2012 at 6:09 pmReply

By the way, eggs are absolutely unnecessary! Leave the chickens alone! lol

5. JeannieOctober 26, 2012 at 7:49 amReply

Thank you so much for a working pancake recipe!

6. JocelyneDecember 2, 2012 at 5:41 pmReply

I made these this morning for breakfast. They are the best gluten-free vegan pancakes I have ever made!!! Thank you so much! They were fluffy and delicious! I pinned it, shared it and will be making them again for my family..:)

7. Vegan Gluten-Free Pillowy Pancake Recipe (Basic Pancake Recipe) | One Thing NiceJanuary 14, 2013 at 11:57 pmReply

[...] Now that we’re eating vegan for the next 6 weeks, my internets search turned up a recipe from Go Dairy Free titled Our Best Gluten-Free and Vegan Pillowy Pancake Recipe. The original recipe can be found¬†here. [...]

8. Lisa PetrMarch 11, 2013 at 11:21 amReply

We just recently had to go gluten, egg and dairy free and now rice free – thank you so much for a pancake recipe that is not gluey or an epic failure – I am sooooo tired of that happening :)

9. SarahMarch 30, 2013 at 6:36 amReply

Can you use a pre-mixed GF flour instead of making your own? Thanks

• Alisa FlemingMarch 30, 2013 at 5:53 pmReplyAuthor

Yes, pre-mixed should work well. I prefer one without xanthan or guar gum.

10. jenniferApril 5, 2013 at 10:09 amReply

made these with bob’s red mill gluten free flour mixture and they turned out great!

11. This weekend’s pancakes | Clea WritesApril 7, 2013 at 6:18 amReply

[...] haven’t found the perfect one yet, but this one comes pretty [...]

12. Stefanie LynnApril 8, 2013 at 6:38 amReply

This a great recipe, but are you aware of the close corelation of salicylates and autism. I have cut all dairy, gluten and FINALLY salicylates and am noticing a HUGE difference in negitive symptoms ( barely any non verbal communication) My 2 daughter are literally becoming different children before my eyes. Honey, grapeseed Oil, and apple cider vinegar are all extremely high in salicylates. I would have to say removing dairy and gluten DID help some but once I removed the salicylates…presto!!!

13. The Quantum Cleanse: clearing out my mind and body after 5 months on the road | Our crazy yearApril 22, 2013 at 6:21 amReply

[...] Breakfast: Gluten free vegan pancakes [...]

14. meganApril 27, 2013 at 9:41 amReply

sounds like a great recipe! i am allergic to potato as well so i was wondering if cornstarch or arrowroot would work instead? thanks!

• Alisa FlemingApril 28, 2013 at 7:30 amReplyAuthor

Yes, potato starch is ideal due to its weight, but any starch should work, you can even try using all tapioca starch.

15. Quantum Cleanse Week Two Reflections | Our crazy yearMay 2, 2013 at 3:18 pmReply

[...] Breakfast: Beet, carrot, cucumber, celery, apple and lemon juice and gluten free vegan pancakes. [...]

16. Quantum Cleanse Week Three Reflections | Our crazy yearMay 10, 2013 at 6:20 amReply