Super Bowl Challenge: Dairy-Free and Vegan Dips
Bring the flavor on with these dairy-free dips! Parties that focus on appetizers can be a dairy minefield, and the Super Bowl is certainly no exception. Sour cream based dips, flavored chips, and nachos oozing with cheese make up the standard fare … but who’s to say “standard” is the best way to go?
Swap the nacho cheese dip for a fresh salsa, bean dip, or some homemade guacamole. Sway from the Mexican theme altogether and serve up different types of hummus with your choice of chips, crackers, or pita bread.
I know what you are thinking, “But, what about that spinach dip?” Of course, you can use store bought dairy substitutes in an attempt to mimic that popular party recipe, but really it just isn’t the same. So, why not take a totally new route, and make a spinach dip that is rich and creamy, but that never had any intentions to contain milk, sour cream, or cheese … such as the following pesto-inspired recipe from Dr. Rebecca Coleman …
- 4 Cups or 6 Ounces Baby Spinach Leaves, chopped
- 1/2 Cup Fresh Basil Leaves, cut with kitchen scissors or chopped
- 2/3 Cup Macademia Nuts
- 1/2 Cup Pine Nuts (can be soaked for 1 hr for more moisture)
- 3-4 Tablespoons Garlic Olive Oil (or organic first cold pressed olive oil)
- 2 Tablespoons Fresh Lemon Juice
- 1 Teaspoon Sea Salt
- Mix spinach and basil in a large bowl, set aside.
- Add all remaining ingredients to a food processor (with S-blade) or high-power blander. Blend until thick and creamy.
- Pour over greens and mix well.
- Let sit in refrigerator for at least 2 hours.
- Mix again then serve with baby carrots, celery, snap peas, mushrooms, sliced red pepper, cauliflower, and/or raw seed or multigrain crackers.
I prefer this dip with a high greens to cream ratio so often add more spinach. Also, all of the ingredients can be purchased at Trader Joe’s for easy, economical shopping.
Diet type: Vegan, Vegetarian, Raw, Dairy free, Egg free, Gluten free, Peanut free, Soy free, Wheat free, Sugar free
Copyright Fleming Marrs Inc. ~ www.GoDairyFree.org
More Great Dairy-Free Dips:
If you liked this post, please share it …