Eugene, OR – Dairy-Free Lifestyle Looking Pretty Smart These Days – Everyone loves ice cream and other dairy favorites, such as yogurt and chocolate milk. Unfortunately, many of these products hurt the waistline, and some practices associated with dairy production have an adverse effect on the environment. This is why dairy-free foods may be a viable alternative. From Turtle Mountain, maker of America’s most popular dairy-free frozen desserts sold under the brands So Delicious® and Purely Decadent®, come the Top Five Reasons for Eating Dairy-Free Foods:
1. Do it for your health. Dairy-free alternatives keep waistlines trimmer and hearts healthier than dairy foods. For example, one serving of Purely Decadent® Vanilla Bean coconut milk ice cream contains 150 calories, 12 grams of sugar, 8 grams of fat and zero cholesterol. By comparison, one serving of Ben & Jerry’s Vanilla Original contains 240 calories, 19 grams of sugar, 16 grams of fat and over 70 milligrams of cholesterol.
2. Easier to digest than dairy. From the legions of lactose intolerant to the growing allergen community, more than one in ten Americans cannot consume dairy. Minorities have an even higher incidence of lactose intolerance: 60% of Latinos, 75% of African-Americans and 90% of Asians are lactose intolerant. Not surprisingly, dairy is the single biggest contributor to Irritable Bowel Syndrome.
3. Leave a smaller carbon footprint. According to a recent U.N. report, dairy production contributes to global warming. Cows emit potent greenhouse gases and grazing tends to damage ecosystems and generate pollution. Conversely, dairy-free alternatives are completely plant based, deriving their energy directly from the sun, and thus are more environmentally sustainable.
4. The taste may surprise you. It used to be that dairy alternatives meant compromising on quality, but not anymore. Manufacturers now offer improved formulations which rival their dairy counterparts on taste. For example, Turtle Mountain’s So Delicious® Chocolate Almond ice cream bar made with coconut milk offers delicious creaminess without the dairy.
5. Give cows a well deserved break. Personal philosophies about animal rights differ widely, but most of us would agree that the fewer animals harmed in the production of our food the better. Although cows are not generally killed in dairy production, it is unpleasant work for these animals which are injected with hormones and constantly hooked up to milking machines. The beauty of dairy-free food is that it is just that: dairy-free.
“Given the intrinsic benefits both to our health and to the environment we expect many will come to the logical conclusion that consuming plant-based food makes sense,” says John Tucker, Vice President of Marketing at Turtle Mountain. “In the future we might all be eating dairy-free.”
About Turtle Mountain, LLC
Based in Eugene, Oregon since 1990, privately held Turtle Mountain provides consumers with healthier alternatives to dairy-based frozen desserts. All products are 100% plant based with no artificial sweeteners, trans-fats or hydrogenated oils, and most are made with certified organic ingredients. Turtle Mountain sells under the So Delicious® and Purely Decadent® brands. For full product offerings and complete nutritional information, please visit: http://www.turtlemountain.com/.