Winning Dairy-Free Recipes: Chocolate Zucchini Cake, Fat Elvis Pops, and More
The ZenSoy Recipe Contest has wrapped up, and you chose the winners! Contestants got creative, using the pudding as an egg replacer, incorporating gourmet twists, and even re-inventing those good old pudding pops. Checkout the winners here, and then scroll down to see their recipes. This post should offer some delicious dessert inspiration for your kitchen!
- Winning Recipe – ZenSoy Soymilk Category: Chocolate Zucchini Cake
- Winning Recipe – ZenSoy Pudding Category: Fat Elvis Pudding Pops
- Runner-Up Recipes (Tie) – ZenSoy Soymilk Category: Chocolate Crème Brulée Cupcakes and Chocolate Banana Brownies with Coconut Butter
- Runner-up Recipe – ZenSoy Pudding Category: Libby's Pudding Pound Cake
And now, for those recipes …
Chocolate Zucchini Cake
Recipe and Photo by Maiah
- 1/3 cup melted nondairy margarine
- 1/3 cup vegetable oil
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 1 cup raw cane sugar
- 2 tablespoons flax meal
- 6 tablespoons water
- 1/2 cup ZenSoy chocolate soymilk
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 2-1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1/4 cup cocoa
- 1/2 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1/4 teaspoon nutmeg
- 1/4 teaspoon allspice
- 2 cups, heaping, of grated zucchini
- 1 cup mini dairy free chocolate chips
Optional glaze: 1 cup powdered sugar, 2 tablespoons cocoa powder, 1 teaspoon vanilla and 1 tablespoon ZenSoy Chocolate Soymilk (or alter ingredient amounts until desired consistency is reached).
- Preheat oven to 350F, grease a 9X13” pan with nonstick spray.
- Mix flax and water in a small dish, set aside.
- Sift baking soda, flour, cocoa and spices, set aside.
- In a mixing bowl, mix margarine, oil, sugar, flax and water mixture and soymilk.
- Add the dry ingredients alternately with the zucchini, then fold in chocolate chips.
- Bake 35-45 minutes or until an inserted toothpick comes out clean, and drizzle with chocolate powdered sugar glaze if desired…enjoy!
Fat Elvis Pudding Pops
Recipe by Kiersten – “I’ve been making these for a long time (I love ZenSoy pudding!) and they’re really good.”
- 1-4 Pack of ZenSoy Chocolate Pudding
- 1 Large Ripe Banana, cut into large chunks
- 1/4 Cup + 1 Tablespoon of Natural Peanut Butter (chunky or smooth, whatever you prefer)
Put all ingredients into a blender or food processor and blend until smooth.
Chocolate Crème Brulée Cupcakes
Recipe by Erica – “I took a batch of these in to work one day and they were a huge hit! No one could even tell that they were dairy free!!”
Prep time: 45 minutes; Cook time: 1 hour 10 minutes; Servings: 25
The Crème Brulée – Ingredients:
- 1 tsp. of vanilla bean paste or 1-1/2 tsp. french vanilla extract
- 2 cups of coconut cream or blended tofu, chilled
- 1/2 cup of white sugar
- 5 large egg yolks (at room temperature)
- 8 tsp. of raw sugar granules (set aside for top of frosting)
- Pre-heat oven to 300°F and prepare water bath.
- Note: Prepare custard several hours before to give it time to cool completely.
- Combine vanilla bean paste, ½ of the coconut cream or blended tofu, all the white sugar, and salt and bring to a boil over medium heat. Stir every now and then to prevent the coconut cream or blended tofufrom scorching or forming a skin.
- Once boiled, remove the pan from heat and let sit for 15 minutes.
- Add in the remaining coconut cream or blended tofu to cool down the mixture, stirring continuously. Whisk the egg yolks together in a separate large bowl until smooth. While whisking eggs, slowly add in the cream mixture; be sure it is cooled so you don’t scramble the yolks.
- Pour into the ramekins filling almost full. Place a roasting or cake pan onto oven rack. Place custard filled ramekins into the pan. Add boiling water into the pan until about 2/3 of the way up the sides of the ramekins, being careful not to splash water into ramekins.
- Bake for approximately 30-35 minutes or until custard wiggles a bit when moved (about 170°F temperature reading of custard).
- Move ramekins to cooling rack and cool to room temperature (about 2 hours).
- Prepare cupcakes as custard cools.
- Note: If storing in fridge overnight, place plastic wrap directly on custard surface to prevent skinning. If any skin does form during cooling, skim the top skin off, just so that the filling is as creamy as possible.
The Chocolate Cupcakes – Ingredients:
- 2 cups of white sugar
- 1 3/4 cups of all-purpose flour
- 3/4 cups of cocoa powder
- 1-1/2 tsp. of baking powder
- 1-1/2 tsp. of baking soda
- 1 tsp. of salt
- 2 eggs
- 1 cup of ZenSoy Soymilk
- 1/2 cup of melted dairy free butter
- 2 tsp. of french vanilla extract
- 1 cup of boiling water
- Pre-heat oven to 350°F. Line 25-30 muffin cups and set aside.
- Mix together dry ingredients (sugar, flour, cocoa, baking powder, baking soda, and salt) in a large bowl.
- Add wet ingredients (eggs, soymilk, melted “butter”, and french vanilla) and beat on medium speed for 2 minutes. Stir in boiling water (batter will be thin).
- Note: You’re going to end up filling the muffin tins halfway full. First, fill muffin tins 1/4 full. Spoon 1-2 tablespoons of the prepared and cooled crème brulée on top of the cupcake mix, directly in the center. Add muffin mix on top of crème brulée until cup is half full.
- Bake 22-25 minutes or until wooden pick inserted comes out clean. Note: Pick will not come out clean if inserted directly in the center due to filling. Insert slightly offset from the center in order to check the doneness of the cupcake.
- When finished, remove from pans to cooling racks. Allow to cool completely before frosting.
The Buttercream Frosting – Ingredients:
- 1/2 cup of shortening
- 1/2 cup of dairy free margarine
- 3-1/2 cups of powdered sugar
- 1-1/2 tsp. of french vanilla extract
- 1/4 cup of ZenSoy Soymilk
- Beat the shortening and margarine together until fluffy.
- Add the powdered sugar and beat for 3 minutes.
- Add the french vanilla and soy milk and beat for another 5-7 minutes, until fluffy.
FINAL PREP (where it all comes together!)
- Generously frost each cupcake; use a piping bag with your choice of tip to add character.
- Finish each frosted cupcake with a sprinkle of raw sugar.
Chocolate Banana Brownies with Coconut Butter
Recipe and photo by Liz of It’s A Cupcake World – “These are dairy-free as well as vegan.”
- 1 cup coconut butter
- 1 cup granulated sugar
- 1 cup brown sugar
- 1 cup mashed bananas (approx. 2 bananas)
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/8 teaspoon salt
- 2 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 3/4 cup dark unsweetened cocoa powder
- 1 cup ZenSoy chocolate milk
- Preheat oven to 325 degrees F. Grease a 9×13 inch pan.
- If coconut butter is not soft at room temperature, soften slightly in the microwave. It’s ok if a small amount is melted and liquid. Put coconut butter in mixer fitted with paddle attachment and beat for 30 seconds. Add granulated and brown sugars and beat. It will take on a crumbly texture. Add the mashed bananas, and beat until creamy.
- Mix together the baking powder, salt, flour, and cocoa powder in a separate bowl. Add all at once to the sugar and coconut butter mixture. Mix. When starting to combine, add the ZenSoy chocolate milk on a low speed, so it doesn’t splash over the bowl. Once combined, pour into pan.
- Bake for 30 minutes. The batter is dark, so don’t be afraid that it’s burning. When a toothpick is inserted into the brownies you want them to be just slightly gooey.
- Let cool before slicing and serving, and if desired sprinkle with a small amount of shredded coconut.
Libby's Pudding Pound Cake
Recipe and photos by Libby of The Allergic Kid
- 1-3/4 C all-purpose flour
- 1 tsp baking powder
- 1/4 tsp baking soda
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1/4 C nondairy margarine, softened
- 3/4 C granulated sugar
- 8 oz (2 x 4 oz cups) of ZenSoy vanilla pudding
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- margarine and flour for pan
- Preheat oven to 350F.
- Prepare an 8″ x 4″ loaf pan with margarine and flour to prevent sticking.
- Measure dry ingredients into a medium bowl and whisk together.
- Cream margarine and sugar until light and fluffy. Reduce blender speed to slow and add pudding and extract.
- Once completely combined, gradually add dry ingredients and mix until smooth.
- Pour into prepared loaf pan and smooth top of batter with a spatula.
- Bake 40 to 45 minutes until crust is brown and a toothpick comes out clean.
- Variation: Use banana pudding instead of vanilla and add a pinch of ground nutmeg.
For more information about ZenSoy's Organic & Vegan Products, visit www.zensoy.com
For more great recipes, see All of the ZenSoy Recipe Entries and Alisa's Quadruple Chocolate Vegan Muffin-Cakes with Quick Pudding Frosting
For our take on ZenSoy, see our ZenSoy Pudding & Soymilk Review