Go Dairy Free

Go Dairy Free on pinterest  Go Dairy Free on Google Plus  Go Dairy Free on facebook  Go Dairy Free on twitter  Go Dairy Free rss feed  Go Dairy Free on FeedBurner

TCBY Launches the First Nationwide Dairy-Free Frozen Yogurt

Posted on by Alisa Fleming in News, Nutrition Headlines with 27 Comments
Pin It
“I wish I could go out for a frozen yogurt,” were words that left my lips just a few days ago. Not a sorbet, a real creamy, soft serve frozen yogurt. It was a foreshadowing moment; within 24 hours, on August 8th 2013, I received word that TCBY had partnered with Silk to launch the nation’s first dairy-free frozen yogurt. I was online in seconds to find out if there was a TCBY in my local area, and as luck would have it, there was!

TCBY Silk Chocolate Almond Milk Dairy-Free Frozen Yogurt

Tony, Kylie and I made the short trek yesterday – yes, the gummy bear topping is definitely our resident teen’s fro yo – and were all presently surprised by this delicious chocolate almond milk treat. Kylie, who can have dairy and has very recent memories of dairy ice cream, couldn’t believe her taste buds. “I expected it to taste weird, but it is really, really good.” Tony and I concurred, this fudgsicle-like dairy-free frozen yogurt is worth a return trip. As expected, it was lighter than ice cream, almost like a spoonable frosty, but still rich and luxurious. The spot-on chocolate soft serve flavor had notable hints of almond for a perfect compliment.

The shop owners at our local Reno TCBY, Vince & Marlene, were actually onsite that day, and were extremely accommodating with all of our questions. Here are some of the details:

Is it soy-free? Yes! The new flavor is an almond milk-based chocolate, created by Silk. It is not only a dairy-free frozen yogurt, but also soy-free, gluten-free, and vegan. Dairy free also means lactose-free, so this is a great option for lactose intolerant frozen yogurt lovers.

What about the probiotics? Like all TCBY flavors, the dairy-free frozen yogurt has 7 live and active cultures. Perhaps this is why my tummy still felt tame even after devouring the monster serving (and we got smalls!).

Is it really dairy-free? The equipment is thoroughly sanitized between batches, so you shouldn’t get any dairy-filled frozen yogurt in your sundae, unless there is one in the partner dispenser that you opt to have swirled in. Vince opted to keep the entire section dairy-free, with the option to swirl in a sorbet frozen yogurt! Ingenious really.

TCBY Silk Chocolate Almond Milk Dairy-Free Frozen Yogurt

Is it safe for severe milk allergies? What about cross-contamination? Alas, TCBY does serve dairy frozen yogurt, and they don’t currently have plans for a dedicated dairy-free machine (request it!), so cross-contamination is a real possibility. As mentioned, they do fully clean the machines between batches, but the risk for trace amounts of dairy still exists, particularly if there is a dairy option in the neighboring flavor. Encourage your local TCBY to park their dairy-free sorbet next to the Silk Chocolate Almond, when serving, but still be aware that it still may not be safe for severe, life-threatening milk allergies. Though I do have a casein (milk protein) allergy myself, I can tolerate trace amounts without concern. Neither Tony nor Kylie has a dairy issue, but their tummies still appreciate this dairy-free frozen yogurt.

Will it be available every day? Since many shop owners have a limited number of machines (the Reno store could only dish up 6 different options at once), the Silk Chocolate Almond may rotate out of the line-up at times. Call ahead or check online (many of the stores post their current flavors) if you don’t want to chance a trip. That said, they will pack any leftovers into pints available in the cold case, and plan to feature the dairy-free frozen yogurt often.

Are there dairy-free toppings? Toppings are up to your local TCBY, so they may vary by location. All should have a good selection of fruits, nuts, and candies. They do not keep a list of ingredients for toppings online, so inquire locally about which toppings are dairy-free, there may be a few surprises!

Will there be more dairy-free frozen yogurt flavors? We hope! Vince said he is pushing for a vanilla, and it sounds like there may be some talk about additional flavors, if the demand is there. He also wants to see a hard-pack option. The Reno TCBY store, like many others, has a hard-pack section that costs just $1.49 per scoop.

The bottom line is: Go, buy it! The more the demand the more likely that they may come out with other dairy-free frozen yogurt flavors and keep a permanent place for a non-dairy and vegan option. I know our household will be supporting this new dairy-free frozen yogurt with our dessert allowance. See the TCBY Website for a store locator.

TCBY Silk Chocolate Almond Milk Dairy-Free Frozen Yogurt

Special Sweepstakes

To promote their new dairy-free frozen yogurt endeavor, TCBY and Silk have announced “The Perfect Match” campaign on social media, complete with a sweepstakes! Fans are encouraged to join in the celebration by posting to social media, utilizing the #TCBYPerfectMatch hashtag, and by entering the “You + Beach = The Perfect Match” sweepstakes for the chance to win a trip for two to a Caribbean destination of their choice, including airfare, three-night hotel accommodations, and $500 spending cash. The sweepstakes will run through August 22nd, 2013.  In addition to the Caribbean getaway, weekly winners will receive iPad Minis and daily winners will receive $25 TCBY gift cards.  More information is available via The Perfect Match Facebook app.

TCBY Silk dairy-free frozen yogurt Promotion

Print Friendly
Go Dairy Free Cookbook - Dairy-Free Recipes, Guide and More
If you liked this post, please share it …
Pin It

Tagged , , , , ,

About Alisa Fleming

Alisa is the founder of GoDairyFree.org, Senior Editor for Allergic Living magazine, and author of the best-selling dairy-free book, Go Dairy Free: The Guide and Cookbook for Milk Allergies, Lactose Intolerance, and Casein-Free Living. Alisa is also a professional recipe creator and product ambassador for the natural food industry. Follow me on Google+.

View all posts by Alisa Fleming →

27 Comments

1. ErinAugust 11, 2013 at 10:42 amReply

I was so excited when I first started reason this article, as my son is allergic to dairy, until I saw its made with almond milk. Alas, he is severely allergic to most tree nuts. I hope they come out with a dairy free/ nut free version as well.

2. Jill K.August 11, 2013 at 10:45 amReply

Fabulous! Do we know if this is NON-GMO? I know Silk is NON-GMO Project verified, but what about other ingredients TCBY might use? Is there GMO corn syrup or GMO beet sugar in the chocolate almond milk fro-yo?

• Alisa FlemingAugust 11, 2013 at 11:09 amReplyAuthor

The yogurt is produced by Silk, I believe, so I would assume it is non-GMO. I’ll see if I can verify.

3. sheaAugust 11, 2013 at 1:25 pmReply

I was so excited until I saw it was made with Almond milk. I have milk and tree nut allergy. Finger’s crossed they’ll come out with a soy based yogurt.

• Alisa FlemingAugust 11, 2013 at 4:48 pmReplyAuthor

I could see that as a possibility –particularly for the hard-pack!

4. KimAugust 11, 2013 at 2:34 pmReply

Why why why with almond milk??? That ruins it for people who are nut and milk allergic!! Thanks for trying with the dairy free, but with nuts we sure can’t support this product.

• Alisa FlemingAugust 11, 2013 at 4:47 pmReplyAuthor

Hi Kim, TCBY really isn’t a nut-safe place at this time, which is why I don’t think they went for nut-free. There were open containers of nut toppings and granolas, and they have peanut and nut flavors.

5. AmandaAugust 11, 2013 at 7:46 pmReply

couldn’t they do a coconut one?

6. LindaAugust 12, 2013 at 7:24 amReply

So glad there is dairy free ice cream but wish it was in Elkhart/South Bend Indiana. Just.once it would be.nice to go somewhere where I can eat and.not worry about dairy. Please put one in our area! Thanks

7. ShawnaAugust 12, 2013 at 8:05 amReply

Probiotics don’t survive when frozen…ever.

• Alisa FlemingAugust 12, 2013 at 8:47 amReplyAuthor

Probiotic powders are often produced via freeze-drying. Would love to see any study findings you have on this. Feel free to post links to the abstracts. Thanks!

8. TamiAugust 12, 2013 at 8:29 amReply

I was so bummed!! I drove out of my way to go. (couldn’t call they did not have a phone number) when I got there they had dairy free grapefruit sorbet, Not a creamy yogurt and I am allergic to grapefruit :(. So much for that venture.

• Alisa FlemingAugust 12, 2013 at 8:40 amReplyAuthor

Hi Tami – see my post above! They rotate the flavors so best to call in advance!

9. KelAugust 12, 2013 at 11:27 amReply

Got all excited then checked to see that the nearest one is 3.5 hours away =(. TCBY doesn’t seem to know that Iowa exists. I’ll have to see if there’s one when I got on a mini-vacation in October. Are they a seasonal store?

• Alisa FlemingAugust 12, 2013 at 1:34 pmReplyAuthor

I believe they are all year ’round Kel.

10. Heather WilcoxAugust 12, 2013 at 11:40 amReply

I am so happy that its made with Almond milk instead of Soy. As a Soy and Corn syrup allergic person, it is almost impossible to find something without one in it, as well as without both of them. Maybe you should just make two versions of it ( One with the Almond milk, and one with the Soy milk ) and make the allergic community a bit happier? BTW, what happens to the world when all of our allergic kids that make up a large number of people grow up, what are they going to do and give their dollars for food? Think on that.

11. GratefulfoodieAugust 12, 2013 at 6:40 pmReply

Wahooo! Big news in the land of the dairy free! This is a BIG deal. Even though my kids are nut allergic at this moment, this is good news for mommy here since dairy does not love me the way it used to. Thanks for sharing!

12. JaimeAugust 13, 2013 at 7:16 pmReply

Big! Huge deal to a lot of people!!!! So excited I have an option. Coconut milk has chocolate peanut butter which is to die for!! Think about t! Lol

13. Food Allergy AssistantAugust 14, 2013 at 7:57 amReply

I just called our local TCBY nd they said they just ended the “dairy-free yogurt promotion” last night. It is no longer available in that store and she could not tell me if they will carry it again.

My dairy and tree-nut allergic son can eat almonds, so this product may have worked for us. I’ll be following up to see what I can find out. Thanks for sharing this news, Alisa!

• Alisa FlemingAugust 14, 2013 at 8:17 amReplyAuthor

Very odd – this isn’t a promotion, but rather a new offering, according to corporate and the store we spoke with. The flavor will rotate out sometimes, and I suppose it is possible that a franchise location may opt out.

14. *Chains - TCBY - Go Dairy FreeAugust 20, 2013 at 10:30 amReply

[…] introducing a new dairy-free Chocolate Almond Frozen Yogurt in August, 2013, sales in some stores jumped 80%! We hope this means that the new option will […]

15. JackieAugust 27, 2013 at 11:05 amReply

Please open a branch in Victoria, British Columbia, Canada

16. TCBY Adds Vanilla Dairy-Free Frozen Yogurt Due to Chocolate SuccessFebruary 5, 2014 at 6:04 amReply

[…] Stories, News, Nutrition Headlines with 0 Comments Buffer After we announced the launch of the nation’s first dairy-free frozen yogurt back in August, sales soared. Many of you raced to your local TCBY to get a taste of the chocolate […]

17. GarrickMarch 21, 2014 at 8:24 pmReply

Unfortunately it hasn’t made it’s way to Arkansas. That’s disappointing.

18. TCBY Introduces New Dairy-Free Coconut Frozen Yogurt - Go Dairy FreeMay 4, 2014 at 4:48 pmReply

[…] TCBY has launched a third vegan flavor: coconut. In 2013, they teamed up with Silk to create an almond milk-based chocolate frozen yogurt followed by a vanilla option. Both of the dairy-free varieties were greeted with such overwhelming […]

19. PriscillaJuly 16, 2014 at 7:19 pmReply

Hi. :) I was just wondering if you know which toppings are dairy free. Any info help! Thanks :)