~~ 5 Star Selection from Go Dairy Free ~~
This product was chosen by our staff as a top pick for quality and taste.
I never know what to expect with gluten-free baking. Even when the results are tasty, the texture usually gives it away. Yet, somehow the bakers at Sylvan Border Farm have concocted the absolute perfect blend of flours and starches to fool even the pickiest of cake connoisseurs.
Initially, I kept quiet about the “special diet” qualities of this cake, to keep any reactions from being tainted. The first responses… “Light and fluffy” and “Can I have another piece.” When I finally revealed that the cake was completely gluten-free, there was only disbelief. Even I had to double-check the ingredients for confirmation after tasting it. Not a bit crumbly, gummy, or grainy, this was a real cake!
Personally, I am not a huge fan of lemon, at least not as the predominant flavor. However, this cake has a very subtle and pleasant citrus flavor with bits of zest. Since lemon cheesecake is so popular, I decided to go out on a limb, and ice it with a homemade dairy-free cream cheese frosting. It was a nice, contrasting combination that made for a rich dessert. For cake and tea, I would probably stick to a simple sugar icing or berries as suggested.
This cake mix was no more difficult to prepare than your average box of Duncan Hines, but everyone agreed that the results were far superior. The instructions call for ¾ cup of orange juice, ¾ cup of oil, and 4 eggs. It makes a generous 13 x 9 inch cake, or the top and bottom layers of a traditional birthday cake. From start to finish, it took me less than an hour to prepare and serve. I can only imagine the amount of hours spent in the kitchen at Sylvan Border Farm to create such foolproof gluten-free results!
- Pros: All natural; Made with some organic flours; Calories, fat, and sugar are respectable for a cake; Easy preparation; Excellent texture; Fresh from scratch taste; Popular with everyone, not just gluten-free dieters
- Cons: Egg-free or vegan alterations would likely be unsuccessful; Subject to milk cross-contamination as it is produced on shared equipment with dairy containing products
- Gluten-free / Casein-free Diets
- Birthday Parties
- Afternoon Tea
- Anyone Seeking a Good Lemon Cake
Where to Buy:
- Online – Direct from Sylvan Border Farm. Though based in California, they will ship worldwide.