Believe it or not, all natural barbeque sauces can be hard to come by. Luckily, there are companies like Daddy Sam’s who understand the importance of a high quality barbeque.
Original Barbeque Sawce – This barbeque “sawce” is made without a single artificial ingredient, and the taste proves it. As a true fan of barbeque sauce, I was not a bit shy around this product. We trialed it on organic chicken, burgers, sausages, and yes, I even roasted some potatoes in it. It was fantastic on everything, and tasted like a recipe that had been passed down through the generations. Daddy Sam’s Original is a rich, smoky sauce with a touch of spice. However, it is still a safe bet for those who are a bit timid around heat. As an added bonus, it is free from the top seven allergens. Like most sauces, Daddy Sam’s is a touch high in sugars and sodium, but with these bold flavors, a little goes much further than expected.
- Pros: Excellent full bodied flavor; All-natural; Free from most major allergens; Homemade taste; Just a touch of spice
- Cons: A bit high in sugar and sodium
- Barbeques, Big & Small
- Chicken wings
Salmon Glaze – Although I would still describe Daddy Sam’s Salmon Glaze as a barbeque sauce, it was free of the “ketchup-like” flavor found in traditional barbecue sauces. To taste, it was bold (from the intensity of molasses), slightly sweet (plain old-fashioned sugar), and a touch spicy (with notes of cayenne and jalapeno). Although these were the most predominant flavors, the ingredient list on this Salmon Glaze reads like a spice rack. Health seekers and flavor fans alike will be pleased to see that natural turmeric, garlic, ginger, and onion made the cut. In sticking with the title recommendation, our first trial was on salmon. Once cooked, Daddy Sam’s was actually quite mellow; a definite benefit, as it didn’t overpower the taste of the fish itself. Our second taste test was as a quick glaze for shrimp served over a bed of rice. It went quite well, and was in fact our top choice for usage. Everyone felt that the molasses undertones blended seamlessly. Overall, for roasting or backyard grilling, I wouldn’t hesitate to recommend Daddy Sam’s as a “glaze” for white meat, salmon and other seafood, as well as for vegetables (particularly potatoes).
- Pros: All-natural ingredients; Made with a variety of disease-fighting spices; Gluten-free; Vegan; Soy-Free; Bold “real” flavors, not a bit ketchup-y; Fat and cholesterol free
- Cons: A mixed pro and con, it is a bit high in sugar and sodium, yet lower than most BBQ sauces and marinades; we still recommend you use a moderately light hand, a little will go a long way
- Roasting & Grilling
- Glaze for Salmon, White Fish, Shrimp, and Chicken
- Flavor Boost to Roasted Potatoes
- “Refined” BBQ Sauce Stand-In
Where to Buy:
- Online – Direct from Daddy Sam’s
- In Stores – Natural food stores throughout the U.S.
The Facts on Daddy Sam’s
Certifications: Daddy Sam’s Sauces advertise as kosher and all natural, but we didn’t find any certifications.
Dietary Notes: By ingredients, Daddy Sam’s Sauces are dairy-free / non-dairy, egg-free, gluten-free, grain-free, nut-free, peanut-free, soy-free, vegan / plant-based, vegetarian, and paleo-friendly. Nonetheless, always read the ingredient statement and check with the company on their manufacturing processes for all varieties if potential allergen cross-contamination is an issue for you. Processes and labeling are subject to change at any time for any company / product.
For More Product Information: Visit the Daddy Sam’s website at daddysams.com.