Although I would still describe Daddy Sam’s Salmon Glaze as a barbeque sauce, it was free of the “ketchup-like” flavor found in traditional barbecue sauces. To taste, it was bold (from the intensity of molasses), slightly sweet (plain old-fashioned sugar), and a touch spicy (with notes of cayenne and jalapeno). Although these were the most predominant flavors, the ingredient list on this Salmon Glaze reads like a spice rack. Health seekers and flavor fans alike will be pleased to see that natural turmeric, garlic, ginger, and onion made the cut. In sticking with the title recommendation, our first trial was on salmon. Once cooked, Daddy Sam’s was actually quite mellow; a definite benefit, as it didn’t overpower the taste of the fish itself. Our second taste test was as a quick glaze for shrimp served over a bed of rice. It went quite well, and was in fact our top choice for usage. Everyone felt that the molasses undertones blended seamlessly. Overall, for roasting or backyard grilling, I wouldn’t hesitate to recommend Daddy Sam’s as a “glaze” for white meat, salmon and other seafood, as well as for vegetables (particularly potatoes).
- Pros: All-natural ingredients; Made with a variety of disease-fighting spices; Gluten-free; Vegan; Soy-Free; Bold “real” flavors, not a bit ketchup-y; Fat and cholesterol free
- Cons: A mixed pro and con, it is a bit high in sugar and sodium, yet lower than most BBQ sauces and marinades; we still recommend you use a moderately light hand, a little will go a long way
- Roasting & Grilling
- Glaze for Salmon, White Fish, Shrimp, and Chicken
- Flavor Boost to Roasted Potatoes
- “Refined” BBQ Sauce Stand-In
Where to Buy:
- Online – Direct from Daddy Sam's
- In Stores – Natural food stores throughout the U.S.