I can hear it now: “But Alisa, aren’t all teas dairy-free?” Yes, for the most part, but that doesn’t mean I’m going to pass up sharing reviews of my absolute favorite beverage. Hot herbal tea is by my side as I work, every single day. It has been my savior for sugar-free hydration and offers extra nourishment for those of us who live with autoimmune disease, or simply need a little boost – particularly if it is a brand like Traditional Medicinals.
I confess that I had passed up this brand many times in the past due to the price. I would buy it on occasion as a gift for friends when they were fighting a virus, but never seemed to think that I deserved such a luxury myself … particularly when I go through multiple tea bags a day. But after hearing raves from those friends, I knew it was time to treat myself to some wellness tea.
As I later learned, Traditional Medicinals is actually rather affordable for a high quality wellness tea, and the quality seems worth it to this tea connoisseur. Here are some other reasons that I’m a new ongoing customer of this brand:
1. Backed by Research – I had the chance to chat with a few members of the company, and even a member of their research team. They are over-the-top proud of their product purity and potency. Here is some brief information from their website that embodies this dedication:
We differentiate ourselves by our investment in the quality systems, research, testing and pharmacopoeial quality herbs… We don’t just make formulas because they sound good. Every tea and herbal product that we make must have sufficient evidence of safety, quality and efficacy in support of our claim statements and formulation rationale.
2. Just for Kids – The even offer kid’s teas! I’ve tried and enjoyed them myself. They aren’t sweetened (a little stevia or honey goes a long ways for little ones!), but the herbs and potencies are customized for children. The line includes Tummy Comfort, Nighty Night, Cold Care, and Throat Coat (at last check) and is so cute!
3. Great Variety – I drink so much tea that I really like to mix it up. I’ll keep around 10 or so varieties on hand, and I love that their range covers everything from straight herbal teas to blended wellness teas (digestive, relaxation, women’s, and more).
4. Integrity – Traditional Medicinals is all about proving their quality with certifications, including organic, fair trade, and non-GMO verification. They also disclose on each box any herbs of concern for those with environmental allergens.
5. They Work - I won’t get into too much detail here, but rather give a few of examples. Nighty Night not only brought on the yawns, it also helped me sleep more solidly. The Breathe Easy really did help with my chronic stuffy nose and the Easy Now calmed my nerves, even after dealing with some teenager issues. I trialed at least one tea from each line in the Traditional Medicinals range (detox, digestive, herbal, laxative, relaxation, seasonal, etc.) with the exception of the tonic, green, and women’s wellness teas, but several of those are on my list.
6. Excellent Taste - I wasn’t surprised that I loved Traditional Medicinals Ginger or Peppermint (two of my favorite tea flavors), but was amazed by two others that I couldn’t get enough of: Fennel (completely new to me) and Chamomile with Ginger (chamomile has always been a bit “meh” to me, but this one is spot on). They offer numerous tea varieties, all herbal or green, and thus far, I’ve worked my way through roughly a dozen of them. The only one I don’t particularly like is the Dandelion Tea – but I’ve never liked this intense weed. The rest have intrigued my taste buds one way or another, offering deep, pure herbal flavors without the fluff of unnecessary added ingredients.
Dietary Notes: By ingredients, Traditional Medicinals Organic Wellness Teas are vegan, vegetarian, dairy-free / non-dairy, egg-free, gluten-free, peanut-free, soy-free, and tree nut-free. Nonetheless, check with the company on their manufacturing processes for all varieties if potential allergen cross-contamination is an issue for you. Processes and labeling are subject to change at any time for any company / product.