Note: This recipe was an entry submission and hasn’t worked out for a few readers. See the comments below. When we get the opportunity, we will test it ourselves and see if there is a fix!
This recipe for pudding cake is an entry in our Spring Fling Dairy-Free Recipe Contest, created and submitted by Hidemi Walsh. To qualify, the recipe includes Almond Plus Protein Almond Milk by So Delicious Dairy Free.
For more details about the recipe contest, see this post: www.godairyfree.org/news/spring-fling-dairy-free-recipe-contest
Special Diet Notes & Options: Almond Milk Pudding Cake
By ingredients, this recipe is dairy-free / non-dairy, peanut-free, soy-free, and vegetarian. Note that this recipe uses quite a few eggs. If you confuse eggs with dairy, you’re not alone. See this post: Are Eggs Dairy?
For nut-free pudding cake, you can substitute coconut milk beverage for the almond milk.
For gluten-free pudding cake, use your favorite gluten-free flour blend for the flour. One with xanthan gum may help a little in binding, but shouldn’t be essential.
- ½ cup light brown sugar
- 3 tablespoons hot water, divided
- 2 cups So Delicious Dairy Free Unsweetened Almond Plus Protein Almond Milk
- 4 tablespoons granulated sugar
- 4 large eggs
- 4-5 drops vanilla extract
- 2 large eggs
- 3 tablespoons granulated sugar
- 2 tablespoons + 1 teaspoon all-purpose flour, sifted
- Preheat oven to 325ºF. Grease 9-by-5-by-3-inch loaf pan with no-stick cooking spray.
- Make caramel sauce. In a saucepan, put brown sugar and 2 tablespoons hot water. Heat over medium heat and simmer stirring constantly until sugar is melted and thickened slightly. Turn off the heat and stir in 1 tablespoon hot water. Pour into the prepared loaf pan.
- Make pudding mixture. In another saucepan, put almond milk, 4 tablespoons granulated sugar. Heat over medium- heat, stirring constantly to dissolve sugar. When the sugar is dissolved, turn off the heat immediately. (do not boil)
- In a bowl, beat 4 eggs and whisk in the almond milk mixture little by little. Strain twice then tir in vanilla extract and set aside.
- Make cake batter. In a bowl of stand mixer, put 2 eggs and 3 tablespoons granulated sugar. Whisk on medium-high speed until fluffy and frosty. Remove the bowl from the stand mixer and add all-purpose flour. With rubber spatula, mix gently to blend well.
- Pour the pudding mixture into the loaf pan then put the cake batter.
- In a deep baking pan such as 13x9x3 or large casserole, put the loaf pan and pour hot water around the loaf pan (not in the loaf pan) 2-2.5 inch height up to the loaf pan.
- Bake for 37-40 minutes until toothpick inserted in center of pudding cake comes out clean from the pudding part and with a few moist crumbs attached from the cake part.
- Let cool on a wire rack then refrigerate for about 3 hours.
- To serve, place the loaf pan up-side down on a serving plate and remove the Almond Milk Pudding Cake from the loaf pan. Cut into desired size.