Mediterranean Eggplant Caponata (Vegan, Gluten-Free, Soy-Free)
- ¼ cup olive oil
- 1 cup chopped celery
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 2-3 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 medium eggplant, unpeeled, ¼ inch dice
- 1-14 ounce can whole tomatoes partially drained.
- ¼ cup sliced pitted olives, green or black
- ¼ cup red wine vinegar
- 2 tablespoons tomato paste
- 2 tablespoons capers, chopped
- 2 tablespoons fresh basil chopped or 2 teaspoons dried
- Dash sugar
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Preheat a large skillet or cast iron pan over high heat. Carefully add oil and immediately add celery, onion, and garlic then eggplant. Sauté about 3-4 minutes until lightly browned, stirring occasionally.
- Reduce heat to medium, add remaining ingredients and stir to combine. Cover and simmer 15-20 minutes, stirring occasionally, until eggplant is very tender. Cool and serve at room temperature. Serve with wine biscuits.
Can be made up to 2 days ahead.