New Orleans Crab Cakes
- 1 Tbsp reduced calorie margarine [Smart Balance 37% is dairy-free]
- 2 Tbsp finely chopped onions
- 2 Tbsp finely chopped green onions
- 2 Tbsp finely chopped fresh parsley
- ½ lb fresh lump crabmeat, picked over
- ½ c fine dry breadcrumbs
- 1 Tbsp creole mustard, such as Zatarain’s
- 1 Tbsp Worcestershire sauce
- ¼ tsp granulated garlic
- ¼ tsp ground black pepper
- ¼ tsp ground red pepper
- 1 egg plus 1 egg white
- Preheat the oven to 375 degrees.
- In a medium skillet over medium heat, melt the margarine. Add the onions, green onions, parsley and saute for 3 minutes, stirring constantly. Add all the remaining ingredients except the egg and egg white; saute for 1 minute. Remove the skillet from the heat and allow to cool slightly.
- In a small bowl, beat the egg and egg white together. Add the beaten egg to the crabmeat mixture, stirring well to blend. Shape the crabmeat into 6 crab cakes, about ½-inch thick.
- Spray the inside of a shallow baking pan with nonstick vegetable cooking spray. Place the crab cakes in the pan and bake for 15 minutes. Remove the pan from the oven, and use a spatula to turn the crab cakes. Bake for an additional 15 minutes, or until golden brown.