This recipe for apple coconut curry is an entry in our Spring Fling Dairy-Free Recipe Contest, created and submitted by Brenda Washnock. To qualify, the recipe includes Coconut Milk Beverage and Yogurt by So Delicious Dairy Free.
For more details about the recipe contest, see this post: www.godairyfree.org/news/spring-fling-dairy-free-recipe-contest
Special Diet Notes & Options: Apple Coconut Curry
By ingredients, this recipe is dairy-free / non-dairy, egg-free, gluten-free, peanut-free, optionally soy-free (depending on the dairy-free margarine you use), vegan, and vegetarian.
- 1 cup So Delicious Dairy Free Plain Cultured Coconut Milk
- ¼ teaspoon ground coriander
- 3 tablespoons olive oil, divided
- ½ sweet onion, finely diced
- 4 large gala apples, peeled, cored and grated
- 2 tablespoons So Delicious Dairy Free Unsweetened Coconut Milk Beverage
- 2 tablespoons hot madras curry powder
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 tablespoons dairy-free margarine
- Prepared basmati rice (to serve 4)
- 1 sweet potato chopped into ½-inch cubes and roasted with salt and olive oil
- 1 yellow pepper, sliced and sautéed in olive oil
- ½ red onion, sliced and sautéed in olive oil
- Unsalted cashews
- Fresh cilantro
- Dairy-free naan
- Mix the 2 ingredients and let sit at room temperature for 6 hours. Then, refrigerate for 24 hours.
- Sauté onion in 2 tablespoons olive oil until translucent. Add apples and cook at medium-high heat for 5 minutes.
- In a small bowl mix the coconut milk beverage, remaining 1 tablespoon olive oil and curry powder vigorously. Add to the skillet, turn heat down to medium, and cook for about 5 minutes.
- Add the salt and margarine, reduce the heat to low, and continue to cook for 20 minutes.
- Pour half of the curry into your blender and puree. Return the puree to the the pan.
- Divide the rice between 4 plates. Drizzle on the curry and the crème fraiche. Top with sweet potatoes, sautéed veggies, cashews and then whole cilantro leaves.
- Serve with wedges of naan.