I seriously cannot get enough of the cool recipes from The Popcorn Board. I also still can’t get over the fact that there is a popcorn board! I mean, do they really need a marketing body to ensure that people eat popcorn? I suppose I shouldn’t question it when they’re coming up with gems like this Asian popcorn snack mix.
I currently eat popcorn almost every day, and its fun to shake things up once in a while, beyond my simple coconut oil and salt routine. But while those sweet kettle and dairy-free caramel recipes are tempting, I usually prefer my corny snack on the savory side. This Asian popcorn snack mix bridges those two cravings nicely – it has a touch of sweet from the rice cracker mix, but deep, savory and salty notes emerge from the sesame, soy and buttery spread. I can’t help but think how perfect this recipe is for afternoon snacks, lunch boxes, potlucks, and even watching sports!
Special Diet Notes: Asian Popcorn Snack Mix
By ingredients, this recipe is dairy-free / non-dairy, egg-free, nut-free, peanut-free, vegan / plant-based, and vegetarian. Just be sure the rice cracker mix you choose is safe for your dietary needs.
For gluten-free Asian popcorn snack mix, it’s a little trickier, but doable. I scoured the internet for a gluten-free oriental rice snack mix, with no luck. BUT, I think you can get equally tasty results by breaking up gluten-free rice crackers, such as Ka-Me rice crackers, they offer various Asian-inspired flavors, and adding gluten-free wasabi peas. Also, use wheat-free tamari for the soy sauce.
Not a fan of buttery spread? I find that coconut oil is amazing on popcorn and offers more richness than buttery spread. If desired, you can substitute coconut oil and a pinch of salt for the buttery spread in this Asian popcorn snack mix.
- 6 cups popped non-GMO popcorn
- 2 cups dairy-free Oriental rice cracker mix
- 3 tablespoons dairy-free buttery spread / margarine (see note in post above for alternative)
- 1 tablespoon soy sauce or wheat-free tamari
- ½ to 1 teaspoon ground ginger, or to taste
- ¼ to ½ teaspoon sesame oil, or to taste
- Preheat your oven to 300°F.
- Stir the popcorn and rice cracker mix together in a large bowl.
- In a small microwave-safe bowl, microwave the margarine on high until melted, about 20 seconds. Stir in the soy sauce, ginger and oil. Drizzle over popcorn mixture; toss. If desired, sprinkle with additional ginger and/or sesame oil.
- Spread the mixture on a baking sheet and bake for 20 minutes, stirring once.
- Allow to cool, serve or store in airtight container.