This recipe for asparagus, leek and parsley soup is a “savory” entry in our March Recipe Madness Contest, created and submitted by Wai Leng. To qualify, the recipe contains 8 ingredients or less, but includes Almond Plus Almond Milk by So Delicious Dairy Free.
Wai Leng says, “This delicious and nutritious soup is not only dairy-free but also completely vegan. With the use of So Delicious almond milk, this soup is hearty enough as a dinner side and also light enough as a late night snack.
I don’t consume dairy and I live in cold and windy Chicago which has many soupy days in a year. But ironically, I didn’t come up with this recipe during winter. It was actually born on a suddenly cold day last Spring. This savory soup has a mild leek taste complemented by the earthy flavor of asparagus and the fresh flavor of parsley….it’s a perfect partner for a piece of whole grain toast. I hope the judges will like this recipe as much as I do.”
For more details about the recipe contest, see this post: http://www.godairyfree.org/news/march-recipe-madness-contest
Special Diet Notes & Options: Asparagus, Leek and Parsley Soup
By ingredients, this recipe is dairy-free / non-dairy, egg-free, gluten-free, peanut-free, soy-free, vegan, and vegetarian. Just be sure to choose your vegetable broth wisely for you dietary needs.
For a nut-free and dairy-free asparagus, leek and parsley soup, simply substitute a tree nut-free milk alternative, such as coconut milk beverage, for the almond milk.
- 2 teaspoon grapeseed oil (or cooking oil of your choice)
- 1 pound fresh leeks, sliced, washed and drained
- 1 small or medium russet potato, cut into 1-inch pieces
- Salt and pepper to taste
- 2 cups low-sodium vegetable stock
- 1 cup water
- 1 pound fresh green asparagus, peeled and cut into 1-inch pieces
- ½ cup chopped fresh parsley
- 1 cup So Delicious Dairy Free Original Almond Plus Almond Milk
- Heat grapeseed oil in a soup pot and sweat leeks for a few minutes until soften but no browning.
- Add potatoes and season with salt and pepper and cook for about 3 to 4 minutes.
- Add vegetable stock and water, bring to boil. Then reduce to simmer and cover and cook until potatoes are tender. About 10 to 15 minutes.
- Add asparagus and parsley and cook uncovered over simmer until asparagus soften. About 10 minutes. Add almond milk and simmer for another five minutes.
- Transfer soup to a blender and blend until smooth.
- Return soup to pot and season to taste over simmering heat.