This fun recipe for Vegan Ice Cream Pie is an official entry in the So Delicious Dairy Free Recipe Contest!
Recipe By: Suzanne Banfield
- 10 tablespoons vegan buttery spread or shortening, divided use
- 4 tablespoons turbinado sugar, divided use
- 1-1/4 cups crushed pretzels
- ½ cup chopped roasted, salted peanuts
- 3 pints vanilla dairy-free ice cream
- 2 tablespoons unbleached granulated sugar
- 4 tablespoons dairy-free creamer (like So Delicious Original Coconut Milk "Creamer"), divided use
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract, divided use
- 2 ounces dairy-free semi-sweet chocolate
- 1 cup packaged caramel-coated popcorn with peanuts (such as Cracker Jack)
- Preheat your oven to 350ºF.
- For the peanut-pretzel crust, melt 6 tablespoons spread or shortening; stir in 2 tablespoons turbinado sugar. Add pretzels and peanuts; stir until well combined. Press crust into bottom and up sides of a 9-inch pie plate. Bake 7 to 8 minutes or until crisp and golden. Cool on rack for at least 20 minutes before filling.
- Remove frozen dessert from freezer and allow to soften. Scrape into pie shell; return to freezer for at least 4 hours.
- For caramel drizzle, melt 2 tablespoons of the remaining shortening in small saucepan. Stir in remaining 2 tablespoons turbinado sugar and granulated sugar; cook, stirring constantly, until mixture boils. Whisk in 2 tablespoons coconut creamer. Cook, stirring constantly, for about 2 minutes or until caramel thickens. Remove from heat; stir in ½ teaspoon vanilla extract.
- For chocolate drizzle, melt last 2 tablespoons shortening and chocolate in small saucepan, stirring until chocolate is completely melted. Stir in remaining 2 tablespoons coconut creamer and remaining ½ teaspoon vanilla extract.
- Remove pie from the freezer about 15 minutes before serving. Place a row of caramel-coated popcorn around the edge of the pie. Drizzle caramel sauce over the top of the pie in one direction and chocolate sauce in the opposite direction. Use a knife dipped in hot water to get clean slices.