Just when you thought banana cream pie couldn’t get any simpler, these quick and easy banana cream pie parfaits emerge! Why go to the fuss of making and baking a crust and waiting for the pie to set, when you can reap the tasty rewards in real time.
These banana cream pie parfaits start with a dairy-free crushed cookie base, are then topped with fresh sliced bananas, followed by a vegan vanilla pudding (which can be pre-made), some more bananas (of course!), a little (or a lot of) dairy-free whip, and finally, a good sprinkling of some more crushed cookies for garnish. Viola … an impressive dessert!
For the whip, you can certainly use a good quality, full fat coconut milk to make your own, but if you are a “Cool Whip” style fan, I can’t recommend CocoWhip enough. Unlike “non-dairy whipped toppings” – which actually contain dairy (yes, seriously!) – So Delicious’s CocoWhip is truly dairy-free.
Beyond assembly, the only real time involved in preparing these banana cream pie parfaits is whipping up the dairy-free vanilla pudding. Don’t worry, it’s easy, practically foolproof, and can easily be adjusted to your tastes and cravings. It does continue to thicken once cool and if chilled, so I’ve included an option for the amount of thickener. Even if it does set up too much, a quick whip or blend returns it to very creamy (I tested many batches!).
Also, in terms of flavor, we liked these banana cream pie parfaits made with the cashew milk beverage best (vanilla unsweetened, to be specific), but it works with coconut milk beverage or almond milk beverage, too. We couldn’t agree on the vanilla, so I’ve left a range. Tony thought the lesser amount was good, but my dad (the banana cream pie expert) preferred the higher amount. I fell in the middle. Fortunately, since the vanilla is added last, you can taste-test it to perfection. Note that I used Simply Organic Pure Vanilla Flavoring, which is alcohol-free and may produce more intense vanilla notes than typical vanilla extract with alcohol.
This post is sponsored by So Delicious Dairy Free, so you have them to thank for inspiring these easy, vegan banana cream pie parfaits!
Special Diet Notes: Banana Cream Pie Parfaits
By ingredients, this recipe is dairy-free / non-dairy, egg-free, gluten-free, peanut-free, soy-free, vegan / plant-based and vegetarian. It’s even relatively low fat!
- 2 cups So Delicious Dairy Free Unsweetened or Unsweetened Vanilla Cashew Milk Beverage
- ¼ cup non-GMO cornstarch*
- ⅓ cup sugar
- ⅛ teaspoon salt
- ½ to 1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract (to taste)
- 8 crunchy dairy-free cookies, crushed (I used Enjoy Life Crunchy Cookies)
- 2 bananas
- So Delicious Dairy Free CocoWhip Topping
- Add the milk beverage, cornstarch, sugar, and salt to your blender and puree until smooth, about 30 seconds.
- Pour the mixture into a saucepan, and bring to a bubble over medium-low to medium heat, while whisking often. Once bubbling, whisk continuously as it cooks and thickens to a slightly thin pudding consistency, about 2 to 3 minutes.
- Remove from the heat and whisk in the vanilla, to taste (go ahead, taste it!).
- Let cool. Cover and store in the refrigerator until ready to use. You may need to whisk it or even blend it if it thickens a little too much when time to serve.
- Horizontally slice the bananas into thin disks.
- Sprinkle about ⅔ of the crushed cookies in 4 parfait glasses (I use martini glasses!). Top with a layer of the banana slices. Top with all of the vanilla pudding. Top with another layer or two of the banana slices. Dollop or pipe on some whip topping and sprinkle with the remaining crushed cookies.