Unlike other Southwestern black bean salads, this one is mild, yet tangy, served on a bed of greens, and completely oil-free thanks to the naturally thick and creamy avocado dressing. Enjoy it as a light main dish or as a side for a summer or fall meal.
This recipe was shared with us by Whole Foods Market (it has been adapted slightly), in honor of a nationwide avocado sale in their stores. The ingredients are simple, and offer room for flexibility – for example: you can jazz it up with some ground cumin, chili powder, onion, and/or garlic; use a tri-color mixture of beans; add sliced green onions; increase or decrease the lime juice and cilantro to taste, or even add lime zest! The sky is the limit.
As is, this Southwestern-style salad with avocado dressing is quite diet- and allergy-friendly. It’s naturally vegan, vegetarian, egg-free, dairy-free / non-dairy (of course!), gluten-free, peanut-free, tree nut-free, soy-free, low fat, and added sugar-free.
- 1 ripe avocado
- 2 tablespoons lime juice
- 2 (15-ounce) cans no-salt-added black beans, rinsed and drained
- 4 cups shredded romaine lettuce
- 1 cup grape tomatoes, halved
- 1 cup corn kernels, fresh or thawed if frozen
- 1 small red bell pepper, chopped
- ½ cup toasted pumpkin seeds
- ¼ cup chopped cilantro
- Salt and pepper, to taste
- Puree the avocado and lime juice until smooth (can also be mashed with a fork or hand blender).
- Place the beans, lettuce, tomatoes, corn, pepper, pumpkin seeds, and cilantro in a large bowl, top with the avocado mixture, and toss everything together until evenly coated.
- Season to taste with salt and pepper.