Special Diet Notes: Basic Corn Bread
By ingredients, this recipe is dairy-free / non-dairy, peanut-free, soy-free, vegetarian, and optionally nut-free.
- 1½ cups yellow cornmeal
- 1½ cups flour
- 6 tablespoons sugar
- 1 tablespoons baking powder
- ½ teaspoon baking soda
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1½ cups plain dairy-free milk beverage
- 2 large eggs
- ½ cup vegetable or corn oil
- Preheat oven to 400 F.
- Oil an 8 x 11 x 2-inch baking dish. Set aside.
- Combine the cornmeal, flour, sugar, baking powder, baking soda and salt in a large bowl. Mix together with a whisk, until blended.
- Whisk together the dairy-free milk, eggs and oil in a small bowl. Pour the egg mixture into the cornmeal mixture, and stir with a large spoon until just combined.
- Pour the batter into the prepared baking dish.
- Bake until the top is golden brown and a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean, 25 to 30 minutes.