These Blueberry Muffins are simple and hearty. Made with either whole wheat flour or spelt flour, these muffins have some substance making them a wholesome on the go snack. The spelt flour variation gives them a little extra boost of heartiness and flavor. Feel free to use whichever whole grain flour you have on hand, or even try out a blend.
For a little added Omega-3’s I like to add 2 Tablespoons or so of ground flaxseed.
Special Diet Notes: Blueberry Muffins with Substance
By ingredients, this recipe is dairy-free / non-dairy, soy-free, nut-free, peanut-free, and vegetarian.
- ¼ cup vegetable or extra light olive oil
- ⅔ cup sugar or evaporated cane juice
- ⅓ cup unsweetened applesauce
- 2 eggs
- ½ cup orange juice
- 2 tsp vanilla
- 2 cups whole wheat or spelt flour
- 2 tsp baking powder
- 1 tsp grated orange peel
- ¼ tsp salt
- 2 cups fresh blueberries (if using frozen, just let them defrost a bit while you are putting the muffins together)
- Preheat oven to 375 F.
- Combine the oil, sugar, applesauce, eggs, orange juice, and vanilla.
- In another bowl, mix together the flour, baking powder, orange peel, and salt.
- Mix the dry ingredients into the liquid and combine gently. Do not overmix - batter may be lumpy.
- Fold in the blueberries.
- Bake in lightly oiled or sprayed muffin tins for 30 minutes, or until done!