Gluten-Free & Vegan Cornbread
- 150g polenta or fine cornmeal (1 cup)
- 125g gluten-free plain white flour (1 cup)
- 30g light brown sugar (2 tablespoons, packed)
- 1 tsp bicarbonate of soda (baking soda)
- 1 tsp cream of tartar
- ½ tsp salt
- 2 eggs’ worth of egg replacer
- 300ml soy milk, rice milk, or almond milk, lukewarm (1-1/4 cups)
- 50ml vegetable oil (3-1/2 tablespoons)
- Preheat your oven to 325ºF (160C).
- Measure all the dry ingredients into a mixing bowl.
- Make a well in the centre and pour in the warmed milk and vegetable oil.
- Beat well to make a smooth batter.
- Pour the mixture into a 20 x 20cm [8-inch] shallow cake tin and bake in a preheated oven for 25 minutes, or until golden.
- Leave the cornbread to cool slightly, then cut it into squares or fingers.
- Serve warm with soup, or cold with spread and jam for breakfast!