Spoon Bread is a pudding-like bread is served instead of corn or potatoes as a side dish. For a pop of color, add some diced red or green pepper to the mix! This recipe was shared with us from Blue Diamond Growers.
Special Diet Notes: Spoon Bread
By ingredients, this recipe is dairy-free / non-dairy, gluten-free, soy-free, peanut-free, vegetarian, and optionally nut-free.
- 3 cups dairy-free milk beverage (like Almond Breeze), divided
- 2 tbsp almond oil (other nut oils, avocado oil, or vegetable oil will work)
- Pinch of sea salt
- 1 cup cornmeal
- 3 large eggs (separated)
- Grease an 8" x 8" baking pan. Preheat oven to 375 degrees.
- Combine 2 cups of dairy-free milk, oil, and salt in a large kettle. Bring to a simmer over medium heat.
- Reduce heat to low and stir in cornmeal slowly, whisking rapidly to avoid clumps. Increase heat to medium and cook cornmeal mixture 3 - 4 minutes until thickened and glossy. Set aside.
- Beat yolks with 1 cup of dairy-free milk.
- Stir into cornmeal mixture gradually.
- Beat egg whites until stiff peaks form. Fold into cornmeal mixture gently.
- Pour into prepared pan.
- Bake until bread rises, turns golden and a knife comes out clean when inserted into the center, approximately 25 - 35 minutes.