Ever so inventive, the busy baking mom at No Whey Mama created this squash cakes recipe to use up some frozen winter squash, and to sneak in a little nutrition.
Special Diet Notes: Squash Cakes
By ingredients, this recipe is dairy-free / non-dairy, nut-free, peanut-free, soy-free, and vegetarian.
- 1 cup white flour
- ½ cup whole wheat flour
- ½ teaspoon salt
- 1 cup sugar
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 twelve-ounce box of frozen winter squash, thawed
- ½ cup canola oil
- 2 eggs, beaten
- ¼ teaspoon nutmeg
- ¼ teaspoon allspice
- ½ teaspoon cinnamon
- ½ cup dairy free chocolate chips, chopped nuts, or raisins
- Preheat the oven to 375 degrees.
- Grease or line muffin tins.
- Sift together the flour, salt, sugar, and baking soda.
- Mix together the squash, oil, eggs, and spices.
- Combine the wet ingredients with the dry ingredients. Stir in the chips, nuts, or raisins.
- Pour into the muffin tins and bake for 15-20 minutes.
- Frost with icing or glaze, if desired.
- Makes 18 cakes.