With asparagus and bell pepper season in full swing, you won’t want to miss out on trialing this asparagusfrittata from Vegetarian Times Magazine.
Special Diet Notes: Asparagus Frittata
By ingredients, this recipe is dairy-free / non-dairy, gluten-free, grain-free, nut-free, peanut-free, soy-free, and vegetarian.
- 4 oz. extra-firm tofu, drained and cubed
- 1 whole eggs or 2 egg whites
- 2 egg whites
- ¼ teaspoon ground turmeric
- ⅛ to ¼ teaspoon ground pepper
- ¼ teaspoon sea salt or 1 teaspoon wheat free tamari
- ½ cup unsweetened tomato sauce
- ½ cup onion, cut in rings
- 2 cups chopped asparagus
- 1 cup yellow bell pepper strips
- 1⅓ teaspoon olive oil
- In medium bowl, mash tofu with fork. Add egg and egg whites, turmeric, pepper and salt and mix well. Set aside. In small saucepan, gently warm tomato sauce over low heat.
- In steamer basket, layer vegetables. Set basket in 1½-qt. Pot filled with ½-inch water. Cover and bring to a boil. Reduce heat to medium and steam until just tender, 5 to 6 minutes. With large, slotted spoon, immediately transfer vegetables to serving plate.
- In 9-inch skillet, heat oil over medium-high heat until oil sizzles. (Pan must be hot or eggs will stick.) Tilt skillet to coat evenly.
- Pour in tofu-egg mixture all at once, then reduce heat to medium-low. As eggs begin to set up, push cooked portion aside with a spatula, then let uncooked portion run under. Repeat as eggs start to set up. Cook until eggs are cooked throughout but still glossy and moist, 3 to 4 minutes.
- Remove pan from heat. Transfer to plate and serve with tomato sauce.