This hot polenta cereal takes a bit more work than your typical oats, but it does offer a nice morning change. It’s also perfect for slow weekend mornings. It’s healthy and so comforting.
Special Diet Notes: Hot Polenta Cereal with Dried Fruit
By ingredients, this recipe is dairy-free / non-dairy, egg-free, gluten-free, peanut-free, soy-free, and vegetarian.
For vegan hot polenta cereal, swap in agave, maple syrup, or Bee Free Honee for the honey.
- 2½ cups orange juice
- 1 Tablespoon lemon juice
- 1 teaspoon finely minced lemon zest (optional)
- ¼ cup honey
- ¼ teaspoon cinnamon
- ¾ cup coarsely chopped walnuts
- 15 pitted prunes
- 10 dried apricots cut in half
- 1 cup polenta
- 4 cups lightly salted water
- Combine the orange juice through cinnamon in a medium sized saucepan and stir. Bring to a simmer on high heat and add prunes, and apricots.
- Turn the heat to lowest level. Simmer gently for about 10 minutes. Don’t let prunes get too soggy. While prunes are simmering start cooking polenta by bringing lightly salted water to a boil in a medium saucepan.
- Add polenta to boiling water slowly stirring constantly. Reduce heat to low and cook for about 15 minutes. Continue stirring to make sure it doesn’t get lumpy. If it starts to get too thick add a little more hot water to keep it soft.
- Remove fruit from sauce with a slotted spoon to a shallow bowl and turn the heat to high. Reduce the liquid to about half. Return fruit and add walnuts to sauce and serve over bowl of polenta.