We made just a few minor modifications to this classic brunch recipe from Vegetarian Times Magazine. This berry french toast is a fun and delicious way to enjoy the summer berries!
Special Diet Notes: Summertime Berry French Toast
By ingredients, this recipe is dairy-free / non-dairy, egg-free, peanut-free, soy-free, vegetarian, and optionally nut-free.
For gluten-free: use your favorite gluten-free bread.
- 4 large eggs
- ¾ cup vanilla dairy-free milk beverage
- ⅓ cup plus 2 tablespoons granulated sugar
- 3 tablespoons vanilla extract
- 1 tablespoon baking powder
- 8 slices whole grain bread
- 2 tablespoons ground cinnamon, or to taste
- 2 tablespoons oil or margarine, or as needed for frying
- 1 ½ cups fresh raspberries
- 2 cups sliced strawberries or local berries in season
- Strawberry or maple syrup to taste
- Confectioners’ sugar for garnish
- Combine eggs, milk alternative, ⅓ cup sugar, vanilla extract and baking powder in mixing bowl, and beat until thick and foamy.
- Pour into large baking pan, and place bread into egg mixture. Allow bread to soak up egg mixture, 7 to 10 minutes, and sprinkle slices evenly with 1½ tablespoons cinnamon.
- Turn bread over to soak second side, and sprinkle evenly with remaining ½ tablespoon cinnamon.
- Meanwhile, sprinkle berries with 2 tablespoons sugar, or more to taste, and set aside.
- Heat butter in large skillet over medium heat, and, when bubbling, start frying bread, several slices at a time.
- Pour extra egg batter over tops of slices. Cook 3 to 5 minutes, or until bottoms are golden. Carefully turn over to brown second side.
- Remove from skillet, and cook remaining bread slices, pouring any remaining egg mixture over uncooked tops of slices.
- To serve, place 1 slice toast on plate, top with some berries, and place second cooked slice on top, making berry “sandwich.” Add more berries, syrup and confectioners’ sugar as desired.
- Repeat with remaining toast and berries until used up.