We made just a few minor modifications to this classic brunch recipe from Vegetarian Times Magazine
- 4 large eggs
- ¾ cup vanilla-flavored milk alternative of choice
- 1/3 cup plus 2 Tbs. granulated sugar
- 3 Tbs. vanilla extract
- 1 Tbs. baking powder
- 8 slices whole grain bread
- 2 Tbs. ground cinnamon, or to taste
- 2 Tbs. oil or margarine, or as needed for frying
- 1 ½ cups fresh raspberries
- 2 cups sliced strawberries or local berries in season
- Strawberry or maple syrup to taste
- Confectioners’ sugar for garnish
- Combine eggs, milk alternative, 1/3 cup sugar, vanilla extract and baking powder in mixing bowl, and beat until thick and foamy. Pour into large baking pan, and place bread into egg mixture. Allow bread to soak up egg mixture, 7 to 10 minutes, and sprinkle slices evenly with 1½ tablespoons cinnamon. Turn bread over to soak second side, and sprinkle evenly with remaining ½ tablespoon cinnamon.
- Meanwhile, sprinkle berries with 2 tablespoons sugar, or more to taste, and set aside.
- Heat butter in large skillet over medium heat, and, when bubbling, start frying bread, several slices at a time. Pour extra egg batter over tops of slices. Cook 3 to 5 minutes, or until bottoms are golden. Carefully turn over to brown second side. Remove from skillet, and cook remaining bread slices, pouring any remaining egg mixture over uncooked tops of slices.
- To serve, place 1 slice toast on plate, top with some berries, and place second cooked slice on top, making berry “sandwich.” Add more berries, syrup and confectioners’ sugar as desired. Repeat with remaining toast and berries until used up.