This café au lait crema is a “dessert” recipe entry in the So Delicious Dairy Free 3-Course Recipe Contest, submitted by reader Nancy Diana. For the pudding base, Nancy uses Vanilla Almond Plus Protein AlmondMilk from So Delicious.
Nancy says, “this pudding is such a simple dessert low in calories and is a great pick me up on it’s own, but I make large batches and use it in trifles too. I actually used it as Halloween desserts (pictured below).”
For more details and to enter the recipe contest, see this post: http://www.godairyfree.org/news/so-delicious-dairy-free-3-course-recipe-contest
Special Diet Notes & Options: Café au Lait Crema
By ingredients, this recipe is dairy-free / non-dairy, peanut-free, soy-free, and vegetarian.
For a tree nut-free and dairy-free café au lait pudding, So Delicious also offers a Coconut Milk Beverage that can be used in place of the AlmondMilk.
For a gluten-free and dairy-free café au lait pudding, use your favorite gluten-free all-purpose flour for thickening. In a pinch, I recommend using non-GMO cornstarch, but bubbling it for only 2 to 3 minutes. The results will differ slightly, but still be creamy once cooked.
- 1 cup So Delicious Dairy Free Vanilla Almond Plus AlmondMilk
- 1 tablespoon instant coffee granules
- 1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
- 1 large egg
- 1 tablespoon flour
- Place all ingredients into a small sauce pot. Whisk together and turn the heat on to medium high.
- Continuously whisk for 5 to 8 minutes until mixture begins to thicken and is smooth. (If there are any lumps press through a fine mesh sieve).
- Pour into serving containers, cover with plastic wrap and refrigerate.
- Can be stored in refrigerator for up to 3 days.