Janet L. Doane, released Almond Essence in August 2005. It is a unique cookbook of dairy substitutes focused on almonds and other nuts and nut milks. Her collection spans ice cream to kefir to bisques. She has provided a few sample recipes, such as the following, from her book:
"An herbed version of the seed cheese lends itself to roasted veggies, salads, soups, or dishes like lasagna"
- 1/2 cup cashews, soaked
- 1/2 cup soaked sunflower seeds
- 1/4 cup fresh herbs – such as basil, cilantro, rosemary – or 1-2 tablespoon dried Fines Herbs blend
- 1 small clove garlic, peeled, and sliced
- 1/2 teaspoon sea salt
- 1/4 cup almond milk, water, or kefir (dairy free from her book)
- 2 tablespoons lemon juice
- 2 tablespoons apple cider vinegar
Soak cashews in glass container, covered with 3/4 cup pure water for 2 – 4 hours. Soak sunflower seeds in seperate container, covered with 1 cup pure water for 4 – 8 hours.Rinse and drain soaked cashews. Remove skins from sunflower seeds as described in basic recipe, and drain all excess water.Put cashews and sunflower seeds in blender or food processor with lemon juice, spices, and almond milk, water, or kefir. Blend on low speed (it works better) until as smooth as possible.If using a food processor, stop machine as needed to scrape down sides. Run machine until mixed to desired consistency. Store leftovers, tightly covered in the refrigerator for 2 – 3 days.