Merging our typical Sweet Sunday recipe with day four of the Dairy-Free Recipe Potluck, an enticing event leading up to the 21-Day Dairy-Free Challenge, I’ve got an amazing cookie in a mug recipe from my good friend, Alexa Croft at Lexie’s Kitchen & Living.
Alexa has an incredible knack for transforming traditional comfort food into simplistic dishes that are healthy AND delicious. For her own household, she’s learned to bake and cook without dairy, gluten, eggs, soy and refined sugar, yet as you can tell by this rich, gooey chocolate chip cookie in a mug recipe, she doesn’t believe in sacrifice.
When asked what draws her to create dairy-free recipes, Alexa shared her story:
“Back in 2007 when my Little Man was nine months old I needed some answers. My baby was growing, but he was not well. The conventional docs offered Prevacid, MRIs and antibiotics. Things did not get better and I knew that there had to be other desperate mommies and daddies out there and that we all needed to be there for each other. I began spending an insane amount of time in the kitchen creating meals and healthy treats for my kids. Instead of keeping them to myself, I thought I’d share them—and so Lexie’s Kitchen was born.”
This cookie in a mug recipe, along with other mug recipe options, can be found in Alexa’s cookbook, Everyday Classics: 68 Tasty & Essential Recipes. The entire cookbook is dairy-free, gluten-free, egg-free, and soy-free, and it boasts tons of easy necessities, like Campfire Pancake Mix, Tortillas, Buckwheat & Oat Waffles, Biscuits & Gravy, Chicken Pot Pie, Stroganoff, Strawberry Cheesecake, Vanilla Cupcakes, and even homemade Marshmallows! It is seriously one of my all-time favorite cookbooks.
But if you don’t believe me, just test out this chocolate chip cookie in a mug recipe first … it only takes 3 minutes!
Special Diet Notes & Options: Chocolate Chip Cookie in a Mug
By ingredients, this recipe is dairy-free / non-dairy, egg-free, gluten-free, nut-free, peanut-free, soy-free, refined sugar-free, vegan / plant-based, and vegetarian.
For a grain-free cookie in a mug option, our friend Shirley at Gluten Free Easily says that this recipe works wonderfully with almond flour used in place of the oat flour.
- 1 tablespoon unsweetened applesauce
- 2 tablespoons coconut sugar (or any granulated sugar)
- 2 tablespoons So Delicious Dairy Free Vanilla Coconut Milk Yogurt
- ¼ teaspoon vanilla extract
- ¼ cup oat flour (can grind oats in a coffee grinder; use certified gluten-free, if needed)
- 2 pinches salt
- 2 pinches baking soda
- 1 tablespoon dairy-free chocolate chips
- Add all ingredients to a small bowl, and stir until combined.
- Scoop the dough into a small, greased, microwavable dish or mug.
- Microwave for 60 seconds on HIGH, or until the top bounces back when gently pressed.
- Let cool for a minute or two - it will be hot!