My “ode to unsweetened dairy-free yogurt” recipe post got a little out of control. I had too many ideas, and started to veer off on tangents – these delicious oatmeal cookie dough balls being one of them. So rather than omit, I’ve given the recipe its very own home.
These oatmeal cookie dough balls are actually softer than the wheat version and have a milder flavor and earthy texture. My niece likes these, but prefers the wheat ones, while the oat version is definitely my favorite, and Tony certainly wasn’t complaining!
Special Diet Notes & Options: Oatmeal Cookie Dough Balls
By ingredients, this recipe is dairy-free / non-dairy, egg-free, gluten-free (with certified gluten-free oats), nut-free, peanut-free, soy-free, vegan and vegetarian.
- 2¼ cups quick oats (I use Bob's Red Mill certified gluten-free quick oats), divided
- ¼ cup coconut sugar, finely ground in a spice grinder (can substitute brown sugar)
- ⅜ teaspoon salt
- ⅓ cup maple syrup (room temperature)
- ¼ cup melted coconut oil
- ¼ cup unsweetened dairy free yogurt (I use Vanilla So Delicious)
- 1½ teaspoons vanilla extract
- ½ to ¾ cup mini dairy-free chocolate chips, or as many as desired
- Blend 1¼ cups of t he oats in a spice grinder or food processor until powdered into a flour.
- Whisk the oat flour, sugar, and salt together.
- Add the maple, oil, and vanilla, and stir until thoroughly combined.
- Add the yogurt, and stir until combined.
- Finally, stir in the remaining quick oats and as many chocolate chips as you like.
- Chill the dough for 1 hour.
- Shape into balls (we use a ½ tablespoon for minis or 1 tablespoon for larger) and store in the refrigerator or freezer for enjoying at will.