Chocolate Chip Vegan Banana Bread
Alisa Fleming ~ Can we ever have too many banana bread recipes? In my house, banana bread is a year round adventure, and I’m always on the lookout for new twists. This vegan banana bread recipe was created by the famous author, Gail Davis, and shared with us by So Delicious Dairy Free.
It uses the new Unsweetened Vanilla Coconut Milk Beverage from So Delicious, so they are pretty darn proud.
Click here for a So Delicious Coupon
Gail makes her vegan banana bread different by adding a touch of coconut extract. Of course, if you can’t locate coconut extract, you can use all vanilla, or pick another spin, like almond extract or banana extract – for an intensely banana flavor.
For a buttery flavor boost, this recipe uses dairy-free margarine, a.k.a. ”buttery spread.” Earth Balance offers non-hydrogenated and even soy-free varieties for a little indulgence without the highly processed stuff. If you prefer to bake without margarine, don’t hesitate to use your favorite baking oil in an equivalent amount. I like to use coconut oil (why not up that coconut intensity?), which also has some buttery notes, but grapeseed oil, organic palm shortening (regular or buttery flavor), or another neutral-tasting oil should work nicely.
For a touch of heartiness without the heaviness, Gail’s vegan banana bread uses a 50/50 blend of whole wheat pastry flour and all-purpose flour. Whole wheat pastry flour is a finer grind of whole wheat flour that allows for a more delicate baked good. You can use whole wheat flour in a pinch, but note that it will make for a slightly denser, but still tasty, loaf. I know that many of you have gluten-free needs, too. Vegan bread can be tricky without gluten, but the bananas do help in binding. You can trial a gluten-free all-purpose flour blend, but make sure it has xanthan gum or guar gum added, for a more cohesive vegan banana bread.
Chocolate Chip Banana Bread
- 1 cup turbinado sugar
- 1/2 cup non-hydrogenated dairy-free margarine (such as Earth Balance)
- 2 very ripe bananas, mashed
- 1/2 cup So Delicious® Dairy Free Unsweetened Vanilla Coconut Milk Beverage
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1/2 teaspoon coconut extract
- 3 teaspoon Egg Replacer mixed with 4 tablespoons warm water
- 1 cup whole wheat pastry flour
- 1 cup unbleached white flour
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 cup semi-sweet or dark dairy-free chocolate chips
- Preheat your oven to 350°F and grease a an 8×4-inch or 9×5-inch loaf pan with a little non-hydrogenated dairy-free margarine or nonstick spray, and set aside.
- In a large bowl cream together the sugar and margarine. Add the mashed bananas, and mix again, just enough to incorporate them together. Add the coconut milk beverage, vanilla, coconut extract, and egg replacer mixture, and blend together.
- In a separate bowl whisk together the flours, baking powder, baking soda, and salt.
- Add the dry ingredients to the wet ingredients in your mixing bow, stir in chocolate chips, and continue to mix while scraping down sides of the bowl, just until fully incorporated. (Be careful not to over-mix.)
- Pour the batter into the greased loaf pan, and bake for 60 to 75 minutes, or until the top is golden brown. The banana bread will get dark on top but will stay moist inside.
- Let the bread cool for 30 minutes, then cut, and serve.
Copyright Fleming Marrs Inc. ~ www.GoDairyFree.org
Tagged egg--free, lunch box, nut-free, peanut-free, soy-free, vegan, vegetarian