This delicious and easy dairy-free chocolate coffee cake recipe isn’t from my mom, but it is from a loving mom who adapted a family recipe for her chocolate-loving little one. Kerri, a Go Dairy Free viewer, says that this recipe is “the BEST!!”
Kerri shared not only the chocolate coffee cake recipe, but also the story behind it, “Our youngest (now 3) is allergic to dairy, but a massive chocoholic! I’m always looking for good chocolate-anything recipes. I took my grandma’s really awesome chocolate coffee cake recipe and modified it. It only took one trial and it was perfect. Even better than the original! The original recipe called for 1 cup of buttermilk and 1/2 cup of vegetable oil. I omitted both, and used one 14-ounce can of coconut milk instead.”
This chocolate coffee cake recipe is also so simple to execute, that little hands can help, and bigger kids can even make the whole cake themselves to surprise mom on her special day …
On Eggs and Egg-Free: This recipe does call for 2 eggs. If you need a cake that is egg-free or vegan, not a problem. Most chocolate cakes convert very well to egg-free, but I would go light on the added liquid. You can substitute 2 Ener-G eggs, 2 flax eggs (using just 1 tablespoon of water per egg), 1/3 cup of dairy-free yogurt, or simply omit the eggs. If you confuse eggs with dairy, you aren’t alone. See this post for an explanation of eggs.
Perhaps Gluten-Free: Again, chocolate cake recipes are very forgiving thanks to the cocoa powder. If you have need for a gluten-free chocolate coffee cake too, you should be able to substitute your favorite gluten-free flour blend for the flour in this recipe (1:1). If the flour blend doesn’t have xanthan or guar gum, then I would use the eggs rather than an egg alternative.
- 2 Cups Sugar
- 1-3/4 Cups Flour
- ¾ Cup Baking Cocoa Powder
- 2 Teaspoon Baking Soda
- 1 Teaspoon Baking Powder
- 1 Teaspoon Salt
- 2 Eggs (see note above on egg-free)
- 1 Cup Strong Brewed Coffee
- 14-oz Can Regular Coconut Milk (not coconut milk beverage in the carton)
- 1 Teaspoon Vanilla Extract
- Preheat your oven to 350ºF and grease AND flour a 10-inch bundt pan.
- Whisk together the dry ingredients in a mixing bowl.
- Add all remaining ingredients and beat on medium speed for 2 minutes.
- Pour the batter into your prepared bundt pan.
- Bake the cake for 45-50 minutes or until a toothpick inserted comes out clean.
- Allow the cake to cool for about 40 minutes before servings.
- Top with dairy-free whipped topping, coconut milk ice cream, or a dusting of powdered sugar to serve. ENJOY!!