Black-Bottomed Vegan Peanut Butter Pie
~ You all know how much I love nut butter by now, right? No, I don’t shovel spoonfuls of it straight into my mouth (I see you guys out there with your fingers in the peanut butter jar!), but I do use a tablespoon or two almost every day to enjoy some rich, creamy indulgence. From peanut butter to homemade cashew or pecan buttter, I love them all, and have quite the arsenal or recipes using them. But in terms of creating a cookbook on the topic, my friend Robin Robertson beat me to the punch!
And from this enticing new cookbook, she has a recipe to share – a vegan peanut butter pie! But not just any old vegan peanut butter pie … this is a no bake, freezer pie with a rich chocolate cookie crust and garnished with chocolate curls and an extra dose of peanut-goodness.
According to Robin, “This richly decadent vegan peanut butter pie is quick and easy to make, but looks and tastes like it took all day to prepare.” I agree, doesn’t it look incredible?!
In addition to being naturally egg-free and dairy-free, you can make this vegan peanut butter pie gluten-free, with gluten-free chocolate cookie crumbs, and soy-free with Earth Balance Soy Free or Coconut and your favorite soy-free ice cream (coconut- or almond- based ones are yummy!). Lest my nut-free crowd be left out, you can use a rice-based ice cream, sunflower seed butter in place of the peanut butter, and omit the peanuts, if needed.
Black-Bottom Peanut Butter Freezer Pie
From Nut Butter Universe by Robin Robertson. ©2013 Robin Robertson. Used by permission from Vegan Heritage Press. Photo by Lori Maffei.
Note that the prep time does not include the freezing time. Plan ahead!
- 1-1/2 cups vegan chocolate cookie crumbs (such as Midel Chocolate Snaps)
- 1/4 cup dairy-free margarine, melted
- 1 quart vegan vanilla ice cream, softened
- 3/4 cup peanut butter
- 1/4 cup chopped peanuts
- 1 cup dairy-free chocolate curls
To Make the Crust:
- Lightly coat a 9-inch pie plate with nonstick cooking spray.
- In a medium bowl, combine the cookie crumbs and the butter until well blended. Transfer to the prepared pan and press the crumb mixture onto the bottom and sides. Set aside.
To Make the Filling:
- In a large bowl, combine the ice cream with the peanut butter, mixing until well blended.
- Spoon into the prepared crust.
- Freeze for 4 to 6 hours or overnight.
- Let the pie sit at room temperature for 5 minutes.
- Sprinkle the chopped peanuts in the center of the pie and the chocolate curls along the outer edge.
To make this pie gluten-free, use gluten-free cookie crumbs; for soy-free, use soy-free dairy-free margarine and ice cream.
Copyright Fleming Marrs Inc. ~ www.GoDairyFree.org
If you liked this post, please share it …
Tagged egg-free, food allergy-friendly, gluten-free, nut-free, peanut-free, soy-free, summer, vegan, vegetarian