Black-Bottomed Vegan Peanut Butter Pie
~ You all know how much I love nut butter by now, right? No, I don’t shovel spoonfuls of it straight into my mouth (I see you guys out there with your fingers in the peanut butter jar!), but I do use a tablespoon or two almost every day to enjoy some rich, creamy indulgence. From peanut butter to homemade cashew or pecan buttter, I love them all, and have quite the arsenal or recipes using them. But in terms of creating a cookbook on the topic, my friend Robin Robertson beat me to the punch!
And from this enticing new cookbook, she has a recipe to share – a vegan peanut butter pie! But not just any old vegan peanut butter pie … this is a no bake, freezer pie with a rich chocolate cookie crust and garnished with chocolate curls and an extra dose of peanut-goodness.
According to Robin, “This richly decadent vegan peanut butter pie is quick and easy to make, but looks and tastes like it took all day to prepare.” I agree, doesn’t it look incredible?!
In addition to being naturally egg-free and dairy-free, you can make this vegan peanut butter pie gluten-free, with gluten-free chocolate cookie crumbs, and soy-free with Earth Balance Soy Free or Coconut and your favorite soy-free ice cream (coconut- or almond- based ones are yummy!). Lest my nut-free crowd be left out, you can use a rice-based ice cream, sunflower seed butter in place of the peanut butter, and omit the peanuts, if needed.
Black-Bottom Peanut Butter Freezer Pie
- 1-1/2 cups vegan chocolate cookie crumbs (such as Midel Chocolate Snaps)
- ¼ cup dairy-free margarine, melted
- 1 quart vegan vanilla ice cream, softened
- ¾ cup peanut butter
- ¼ cup chopped peanuts
- 1 cup dairy-free chocolate curls
- Lightly coat a 9-inch pie plate with nonstick cooking spray.
- In a medium bowl, combine the cookie crumbs and the butter until well blended. Transfer to the prepared pan and press the crumb mixture onto the bottom and sides. Set aside.
- In a large bowl, combine the ice cream with the peanut butter, mixing until well blended.
- Spoon into the prepared crust.
- Freeze for 4 to 6 hours or overnight.
- Let the pie sit at room temperature for 5 minutes.
- Sprinkle the chopped peanuts in the center of the pie and the chocolate curls along the outer edge.
To make this pie gluten-free, use gluten-free cookie crumbs; for soy-free, use soy-free dairy-free margarine and ice cream.
If you liked this post, please share it …
Tagged egg-free, food allergy-friendly, gluten-free, nut-free, peanut-free, soy-free, summer, vegan, vegetarian