This mini muffins recipe is a feature from one of my favorite authors, Laura Theodore, and her new “everyday” cookbook, Jazzy Vegetarian Classics: Vegan Twists on American Family Favorites. “The quintessential quick bread, these cinnamon beauties pair well at any meal and at snack time, too! A bonus: they are so easy to prepare!”
She couldn’t be more right. Requiring just a handful of simple ingredients and 10 minutes of hands on time, you’ll have no excuse not to bake fresh whole wheat muffins more than once a week! Enjoy them as a nice breakfast on the go, or stash a couple in lunch boxes for a surprise treat.
Special Diet Notes & Option: Maple Mini Muffins
This recipe is naturally dairy-free / non-dairy, egg-free, vegan and vegetarian. To keep it peanut-free, tree nut-free and soy-free, choose your milk alternative wisely. Some good top allergen-free options include flax milk, coconut milk beverage and rice milk – just be sure to check the ingredients and ensure that there are no allergen concerns for you with that brand.
We’ve yet to test these mini-muffins as gluten-free. If you do use a gluten-free blend that is successful in this mini muffins recipe, please feel free to share it in the comments!
- 1 cup whole-wheat flour
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- ½ teaspoon ground cinnamon
- ⅛ teaspoon sea salt
- ½ cup raisins
- ⅓ cup plus 1 teaspoon dairy-free milk alternative
- ⅓ cup maple syrup
- 1 tablespoon extra-virgin olive oil
- Preheat your oven to 375ºF and grease a twelve cup mini-muffin tin.
- Put the flour, baking powder, cinnamon, and salt in a large bowl, and stir with a dry whisk to combine.
- Stir in the raisins, followed by the dairy-free milk alternative, maple syrup, and olive oil, and mix just until incorporated. The batter will be quite thick. Don’t overmix or the muffins will be tough.
- Divide the mixture among the prepared muffin cups.
- Bake for 25 to 35 minutes, or until golden and a toothpick inserted in the center of a muffin comes out clean.
- Put the muffin tin on a wire rack.
- Let cool for about 15 minutes before carefully remove the muffins to serve or cool completely.