This recipe for caramel pineapple cake is a “sweet” entry in our March Recipe Madness Contest, created and submitted by Mary Shivers. To qualify, the recipe contains 8 ingredients or less, but includes Coconut Milk Beverage by So Delicious Dairy Free.
Infused with brown sugar, coconut milk beverage and coconut oil, this pineapple cake takes on caramel-like notes.
For more details about the recipe contest, see this post: http://www.godairyfree.org/news/march-recipe-madness-contest
Special Diet Notes & Options: Coconut-Spiked Caramel Pineapple Cake
By ingredients, this recipe is dairy-free / non-dairy, peanut-free, soy-free, tree nut-free, and vegetarian.
- 3 cups sifted all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- ½ teaspoon salt
- 1 cup coconut oil, divided
- 2 ¼ cups packed brown sugar, divided
- Egg-substitute equal to 6 eggs
- ¾ cup So Delicious Dairy Free Original Coconut Milk Beverage, divided
- 1 cup well drained crushed pineapple
- 1¾ cups powdered sugar
- Use canola oil to grease then lightly flour a 12-cup bundt pan.
- Sift together the flour and baking powder.
- Remove 2 tablespoons coconut oil and place in a medium microwave-safe bowl to use for frosting. Place remaining coconut oil in a large bowl.
- Remove ½ cup brown sugar and place in frosting bowl. Place remaining brown sugar in large bowl.
- Beat ingredients in large bowl on medium speed until fluffy. Gradually beat in egg substitute.
- Remove 3 tablespoons of coconut milk to a small bowl to use for frosting.
- Gradually beat in the remaining coconut milk alternately with the flour mixture into the mixture in large bowl. Beat on medium speed for 1 minute.
- Stir in pineapple. Pour batter into prepared pan.
- Place in cold oven. Turn oven on to 325ºF and bake for 85-95 minutes or until top springs back lightly when touched and a wooden skewer inserted in center comes out clean.
- Remove from oven. Let stand for 15 minutes. Loosen cake from pan and carefully invert onto cooling rack. Cool completely.
- Meanwhile, make frosting by microwaving ingredients in frosting bowl for 20 seconds. Beat on low speed until smooth. Gradually beat in powdered sugar. Gradually beat in enough of reserved coconut milk to make frosting the consistency to drizzle onto top of cake, allowing some to slowly run down side. Cool for 10 minutes to allow frosting to harden slightly.