This recipe for coconut milk rice is an entry in our Spring Fling Dairy-Free Recipe Contest, created and submitted by Bridget Collins. To qualify, the recipe includes Original Culinary Coconut Milk by So Delicious Dairy Free.
For more details about the recipe contest, see this post: www.godairyfree.org/news/spring-fling-dairy-free-recipe-contest
Special Diet Notes & Options: Coconut Milk Rice
By ingredients, this recipe is dairy-free / non-dairy, egg-free, gluten-free, nut-free, peanut-free, soy-free, vegan, vegetarian, and top food allergy-friendly.
- 2 quarts (8 cups) water
- 1 cup uncooked brown basmati rice
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 3 scallions or green onions, finely diced
- 1 jalapeno, diced
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 teaspoon salt, divided
- ¼ teaspoon ground black pepper
- 1 cup So Delicious Dairy Free Original Culinary Coconut Milk (all-natural version of full-fat canned coconut milk)
- 1 small bunch of kale, cleaned, stemmed and chopped
- 1 (15 oz.) can of chickpeas, drained and rinsed
- ½ cup fresh cilantro leaves, minced
- 1 lime-grated zest and all of the juice
- In a large pot with a heavy bottom, boil the 2 quarts of water. Add the rice. Cook the rice as if it were pasta, on medium-high heat and in plenty of water. Stir the rice frequently and cook for 30 minutes. Strain.
- Meanwhile, sauté the green onions, jalapenos and garlic in the oil with ½ teaspoon salt and the pepper on medium-low heat and cook approximately 10-12 minutes or until the onion is soft and translucent.
- Pour the rice through a mesh strainer once cooked and add it back to the pot.
- To the rice, add the coconut milk, ½ tsp. salt, and the sautéed onion/garlic/jalapeno mixture that had been prepared. Stir to combine.
- Next, add the kale and chickpeas.
- Stir everything together and cook on medium low for additional 10-12 minutes until the rice is soft and absorbs most of the liquid. The kale should be just wilted and bright green.
- Take the pot off the heat; add in the lime zest, lime juice and cilantro.
- Fluff with a fork to combine and serve immediately.