For a wonderful spread, or to give as gifts, this delightful pumpkin butter recipe comes from Eleanor Johnson, and was posted to AllRecipes.com. You may wish to adjust the sugar (and correspondingly the apple juice) down a touch should you prefer a butter that isn’t too sweet.
Special Diet Notes: Pumpkin Butter
By ingredients, this recipe is dairy-free / non-dairy, egg-free, gluten-free, grain-free, nut-free, peanut-free, soy-free, vegan, plant-based, vegetarian, and top food allergy-friendly.
- 1 (29 ounce) can pumpkin puree
- ¾ cup apple juice
- 2 teaspoons ground ginger
- ½ teaspoon ground cloves
- 1½ cups white sugar
- 2 teaspoons ground cinnamon
- 1 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- Combine pumpkin, apple juice, spices, and sugar in a large saucepan; stir well. Bring mixture to a boil. Reduce heat, and simmer for 30 minutes or until thickened. Stir frequently.
- Spoon hot pumpkin mixture into hot jars, filling to within ¼ inch from top. Remove air bubbles; wipe jar rims. Cover at once with metal lids, and screw on bands.
- Process in a boiling water bath for 10 minutes.