Raw Cauliflower “Couscous”
This recipe was shared with us by Meghan Telpner, nutritionista extraordinaire! I’m a huge fan of cauliflower “rice” and love Meghan’s variation. She is big on adding fresh herbs to just about everything! This makes a great cold side salad for lunch or dinner, or you can enjoy it as a light meal served with wholesome crackers and chickpea or raw zucchini hummus.
Some Quick Health Benefits of Cauliflower from World’s Healthiest Foods:
- Cauliflower and other cruciferous vegetables, such as broccoli, cabbage, and kale, contain compounds that may help prevent cancer. These compounds appear to stop enzymes from activating cancer-causing agents in the body, and they increase the activity of enzymes that disable and eliminate carcinogens.
- Sulfur-containing phytonutrients found in cauliflower help to promote liver detoxification by increasing the liver’s ability to neutralize potentially toxic substances. Many enzymes found in cauliflower also help with the detoxifying process.
- Cauliflower is very rich in vitamin C. Ina ddition to vitamin C’s immune boosting properties, it also provide humans with protection against inflammatory polyarthritis, a form of rheumatoid arthritis involving two or more joints.
Raw Grain-Free Cauliflower Couscous
- 1 head of cauliflower
- 1/3 cup fresh lemon juice
- 1/3 cup olive oil
- 1 bunch cilantro, chopped
- 1 bunch parsley, chopped
- 1 bunch mint, chopped
- 1/4 cup basil, chopped
- 2 cups cherry tomatoes, quartered and seeded
- 1 red bell pepper, chopped
- 1/2 cup black olives, seeded and sliced
- salt and pepper to taste
- Process cauliflower in food processor with ‘s’ blade to achieve couscous like consistency (can also chop finely by hand).
- Place in bowl and add lemon juice, olive oil, salt and pepper.
- Mix in herbs, tomatoes, pepper and olives.
- Stir well and serve chilled.
Copyright Fleming Marrs Inc. ~ www.GoDairyFree.org
Tagged barbecues, egg--free, food allergy-friendly, gluten-free, grain-free, nut-free, peanut-free, raw food, soy-free, summer, vegan, vegetarian