An excellent dairy free / vegan accompaniment for fresh summer fruit desserts. This creatively creamy recipe comes from Jennifer Raymond’s cookbook “The Peaceful Palate: Fine Vegetarian Cuisine “. The 5 stars her book received from all 12 reviewers on Amazon, tells us that this sample recipe will likely be a winner.
Makes: 1 cup
- Half 10.5-ounce package silken soft tofu
- 1 Tablespoon apple juice concentrate
- 2 teaspoons barley malt powder
- 1/2 cup vanilla rice drink
- 1 Tablespoon arrowroot powder
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 teaspoon maple syrup
- Combine tofu, apple juice concentrate, barley malt powder, and 1/4 cup rice milk in blender. Blend until tofu is thoroughly smooth.
- In a small bowl combine the remaining 1/4 cup rice milk and the arrowroot. Stir until smooth.
- Pour blended tofu mixture into a saucepan and heat over medium heat for about 1 minute. Stir in arrowroot mixture and heat until mixture is thickened. Remove from heat and add maple syrup and vanilla. Stir until well combined.
- Use hot, warm, or cold over fresh fruit or cake.