This recipe for cream of the crop asparagus soup is an Honorable Mention Winner (10 VIP Free Product Coupons!) as the Best Spring Soup (also Best Title!) entry in the The Spring Fling Dairy-Free Recipe Contest, hosted here on Go Dairy Free, and sponsored by So Delicious Dairy Free.
Shannon Kohn created and submitted this extra-special, flavorful asparagus soup recipe. Roasting the vegetables helps to bring out their natural sweetness, and she uses coconut milk beverage to add a light touch of creaminess to the asparagus soup with minimal fat.
Special Diet Notes: Creamy Asparagus Soup with Roasted Corn, Tomatoes, and Onions
By ingredients, this recipe is dairy-free / non-dairy, egg-free, gluten-free, peanut-free, tree nut-free, soy-free, vegan, and vegetarian.
- 1 lb fresh asparagus spears, tough ends trimmed
- 3 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 teaspoon minced garlic
- 1 teaspoon + ½ teaspoon Kosher salt, divided
- ¼ teaspoon ground black pepper
- 1 cup grape tomatoes, halved
- 1 cup fresh yellow corn kernels
- 1 small onion, quartered and separated
- 1 cup vegetable broth
- 2 cups So Delicious Dairy Free Unsweetened Coconut Milk Beverage
- 1 tablespoon flat-leaf parsley, chopped for garnish, if desired
- Preheat oven to 425ºF. Line 2 baking sheets with parchment paper. Place trimmed asparagus spears onto one baking sheet.
- In bottom of large bowl, combine olive oil, garlic, 1 teaspoon of Kosher salt, and ground black pepper. Drizzle half of mixture over asparagus spears on baking sheet. Toss to coat and arrange spears into single layer for even roasting.
- To remaining olive oil mixture in bowl, add grape tomato halves, corn kernels and onions. Toss to coat; spread mixture out evenly onto second baking sheet.
- Roast vegetables on baking sheets for 12-15 minutes. Remove from oven. Reserve 4 asparagus spears and chop into bite-sized pieces.
- Place remaining asparagus spears and roasted onions into large food processor. Add vegetable broth; puree until smooth. Place mixture into medium-large saucepan with coconut milk beverage and remaining ½ teaspoon Kosher salt; stir to combine. Heat mixture over medium heat until very warm (do not boil), stirring regularly, about 6-8 minutes.
- To serve: Divide and ladle soup into 4 shallow serving bowls. To middle of soup in each bowl, decoratively mound equal amounts of tomato halves, corn and chopped asparagus. Garnish with equal amounts of chopped parsley, if desired. Serve immediately.