This recipe for creamy of lentil blender soup is a “5 minutes or less” entry in the Fast & Fresh Dairy-Free Time Trials Recipe Contest, submitted by reader Christina Coopman. For the creamy consistency, she uses dairy-free Coconut Milk Beverage from So Delicious.
Christina says, “Not only do I love this creamy of lentil soup because it is super quick, but by not cooking the vegetables that much I get that added kick of nutrition and flavour!”
For more details about the recipe contest, see this post: http://www.godairyfree.org/news/dairy-free-time-trials-recipe-contest
Special Diet Notes & Options: Cream of Lentil Blender Soup
By ingredients, this recipe is dairy-free / non-dairy, egg-free, nut-free, peanut-free, soy-free, vegan, vegetarian, and all around allergy-friendly.
- 1½ cup So Delicious Dairy Free Unsweetened Coconut Milk Beverage
- ¼ of a large onion (roughly ⅓ cup)
- 1 medium clove of garlic
- ¼ inch ginger root
- 1 can lentils, 540ml, divided
- ½ teaspoon lemon juice
- ½ teaspoon ground cumin
- 2 teaspoon vegetable bouillon powder
- ½ to 1 teaspoon chili sauce, depending on spice preference
- 2 green onions, optional for garnish
- Place coconut milk in a large pot on high heat to bring to a boil.
- Roughly chop the onion, garlic and ginger and add to coconut milk.
- Rinse the lentils and add half of them to the pot.
- Add in lemon juice, cumin, bouillon powder and chili sauce. Continue to cook over high heat for approximately 2 minutes until vegetables have just started to soften.
- Remove from heat and add to blender. Puree until smooth. While blending, slice green onions for garnish.
- Split leftover lentils into bowls and pour the puree over them.
- Garnish with green onions. Enjoy!