This recipe for spinach parmesan cups is an “appetizer” entry in the So Delicious Dairy Free 3-Course Recipe Contest, submitted by reader “Fiery Red”. For the dairy-free filling, she uses Barista-Style Coconut Milk Creamer from So Delicious.
For more details and to enter the recipe contest, see this post: http://www.godairyfree.org/news/so-delicious-dairy-free-3-course-recipe-contest
Special Diet Notes & Options: Creamed Spinach Parmesan Cups
By ingredients, this recipe is dairy-free / non-dairy, egg-free, gluten-free, peanut-free, soy-free, vegan, and vegetarian. Note that Parma is made with tree nuts. For a homemade version of Parma, with nut-free option, see Go Dairy Free. Also, use caution in selecting the pie dough to ensure it fits your dietary needs. You can use gluten-free, or not, if wheat is okay for you.
- Gluten Free refrigerated pie and pastry crust dough
- 2 tablespoons coconut oil
- ½ cup finely chopped shallots
- 1 teaspoon minced garlic
- ¾ teaspoon salt
- ½ teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- ¼ teaspoon nutmeg
- ½ cup So Delicious Dairy Free Coconut Milk Barista Style "Creamer"
- ⅓ cup Parma (Vegan Cheese substitute)
- 20 ounces frozen chopped spinach
- Make crust in advance. Heat your oven to 425ºF. Knead dough until softened and no longer crumbly. Press 1 rounded teaspoonful dough in bottom and up side of each of 24 ungreased mini muffin cups, extending dough ¼ inch above edge of cup. Bake 16 to 18 minutes or until puffed and golden brown. Take out and put to the side to cool
- Put coconut oil in medium saute pan over medium-high heat. Add the shallots and garlic and cook, stirring, until soft and fragrant, about 2 minutes. Add the So Delicious creamer, salt, pepper, and nutmeg, and cook until the cream is reduced by half, about 4 minutes then add Parma, after thoroughly mixed add in frozen spinach. Remove from heat. Spoon into the cool pastry cups. After spooned in, you warm just before serving