It really is about the simple things in life, isn’t it? This recipe for dairy-free creamy coconut poached pears has easy simmer instructions and contains just 4 ingredients, but each one adds so much to the finished dish.
That said, when there are only a handful of ingredients, the quality of ingredients matters that much more. Be sure to use a good quality coconut milk (like So Delicious or Thai Kitchen Organic) for these coconut poached pears, and pick the best pears possible.
But how to pick the best pears? According to Cristie Mather of the Pear Bureau Northwest, “Regardless of which variety you prefer, the real secret to enjoyment is knowing how to tell when a pear is ripe.” Pears ripen from the inside out. To determine if a pear is ripe, apply gentle pressure to the narrow “neck” of the pear with your thumb. If it yields to pressure, it’s ready to enjoy.
The pear is one of the few fruits that does not ripen on the tree – they are harvested when mature, but not yet ripe. When left at room temperature, firm pears gradually ripen from the inside out. Once ripe, they can be refrigerated to slow the ripening process.
Serve these coconut poached pears with a generous portion of the creamy sauce for dessert. For heartier, healthier fare, the pears can also be chopped and served with the sauce atop granola or steel cut oats! See the note in the recipe for instructions.
Special Diet Notes: Creamy Coconut Poached Pears
By ingredients, this recipe is dairy-free / non-dairy, egg-free, gluten-free, grain-free, nut-free, peanut-free, soy-free, vegan / plant-based, and vegetarian.
For paleo coconut poached pears, use coconut sugar in place of the Muscavado sugar.
- Warm coconut milk, sugar, and anise over low heat to dissolve sugar.
- Peel, halve, and core the pears with a melon baller.
- Submerge the pears in the coconut milk and cover.
- Keeping the heat at low to prevent burning the coconut milk, cook the pears for 20-25 minutes, or until just tender when pierced with a fork.
- Gently stir the mixture every 8-10 minutes to prevent scorching.
- Once tender, remove the pears and serve immediately with the sweetened, spiced coconut milk.