This recipe for coconut shrimp is a “main course” entry in the So Delicious Dairy Free 3-Course Recipe Contest, submitted by reader Mandie Callahan. For the creamy part, she uses dairy-free Coconut Milk Creamer from So Delicious.
For more details and to enter the recipe contest, see this post: http://www.godairyfree.org/news/so-delicious-dairy-free-3-course-recipe-contest
Special Diet Notes & Options: Creamy Crunchy Coconut Shrimp
By ingredients, this recipe is dairy-free / non-dairy, peanut-free, and soy-free. Note that many brands of almond extract are actually tree nut-free.
For gluten-free and dairy-free coconut shrimp, seek out gluten-free panko crumbs or toast your favorite gluten-free breadcrumbs.
For egg-free and dairy-free coconut shrimp, use vegan mayonnaise rather than regular egg-based mayonnaise.
- 1 pound uncooked medium shrimp, peeled and deveined
- 1 cup + 2 tablespoons So Delicious Dairy Free Original Coconut Milk Creamer, divided
- ½ teaspoon salt
- ½ teaspoon pepper
- 1 cup panko break crumbs + 2 tablespoons cornstarch, combined
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 2 tablespoons sugar
- 2 tablespoons mayonnaise
- ½ teaspoon almond extract
- Shredded coconut, for garnish
- Combine 2 tablespoons creamer, salt, and pepper in a large bowl for the marinade. Add the shrimp to the marinade and let sit for 10 minutes.
- Lightly cover the shrimp in the bread crumb and cornstarch combo.
- Heat the olive oil in a skillet or wok, sauté the shrimp over medium heat until golden brown, approximately 2-3 minutes.
- Remove the shrimp and drain on a paper towel.
- Deglaze the pan with the 1 cup Coconut Creamer and sugar. Simmer on medium and stir occassionally until it begins to thicken then reduce the heat and let cook for an additional 5-8 minutes
- Add the mayo, almond extract, and the shrimp. Mix until the shrimp is coated. Simmer on low for another 2-3 minutes, and then serve with shredded coconut as a garnish.